Issue with HDD 100 usage

Jul 26, 2018
Hi I have a problem with my HDD (SAMSUNG HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5)

The drive goes to 100% usage, shortly after start up. There are no programs running that are draining it, this is a new win 10 install, I've only Installed drivers and updates.

I had an extra driver lying around, tried to swap them out but the problem was still there (also updated win 10 system).

Send help.

Pavkata882

Reputable
May 19, 2016
Sounds normal to me, since windows is loading up on bootup. Also, HDDs dont have such high write/read speed as SSDs do, so it can't handle all the services that are being opened at that time. If you feel your system loading too slow you can buy a 120GB SSD for not such high price, as new M.2 SSDs are coming out, sata SSD prices are dropping down. You can literally get your hands on a new sata SSD for like 40 bucks. You can check out the list here: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#t=0&sort=price&page=1

Jul 26, 2018

True, SSD is the way and I will upgrade it at one point. But this HDD has been a loyal companion for years now, never had a problem, still in good health. All diagnostics ✓ out. So I'm curious what's forcing it to go to 100% when there's literally nothing running in the background.

It's pretty easy to make a hard drive show 100% active time. Since they have such low IOPS. Just normal Windows background services can keep it up there.

If you want to try and figure out what processes are utilizing the hard drive. Open "Resource Monitor" and view disk activity.

Jul 26, 2018

Yeah I know. I've disabled most of the common stuff superfetch, etc. etc. Still same.