Question Issue with installing new ram

Nov 5, 2019
Hey all,

I just bought a new PC a couple days ago, specs are AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX 580, Gigabyte b450m ds3h wifi MOBO, 240 ssd 2tb hdd. It only came with 8gb of 3000 MHz ram ddr4(balistix) and I wanted to upgrade to 16 gb, I went ahead and purchased 2 8gb of Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 Mhz. I installed it into my computer and everything was working fine, than my game starting to crash and I started to get the dreaded blue screen of death message. It came up as stop code MEMORY_MANAGMENT.

I ran the Windows Memory Diag tool and it did come up with the message, "hardware problems were detected. To identify and repair these problem's, you will need to contact your manufacture." So I figured it was the ram, I removed the new ram I put in and put the original stick back in re-ran the memory tool and everything came back fine so it had to have been the new memory I installed.

I'm thinking maybe the memory was not compatible with the MOBO? Although I did do some research and it appeared to be compatible, did i do something wrong? any help would be greatly appreciated.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Although I did do some research and it appeared to be compatible, did i do something wrong? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Researching specific terms can be difficult. Most consumers are bound by manufacturer specifications because they don't know what to ask or search for to understand how pc hardware can be so annoying. Forums like here have a ton of experience, it's just a matter of how you phrase the search strings that you'll sort of get specifics but that comes from experience.

Saying that. Mixing ram is never a good idea. Materials can change and different specs can decrease the odds. The motherboard can be sensitive and fussy to minute differences. Memory are best bought in sets as they're tested.

Could try return ram and try again but this time get exactly the same specs. Capacity, frequency, Cas and voltage. Keeping these the same increases your chances but not guaranteed

Good grief. You are trying to mix RAM with completely different memory chips. You best clock them at JEDEC speeds unless you plan on testing each timing one by one to see if they work with your memory controller. It can work, but if what I just typed sounds like a foreign language then you need to go to a shop and pay someone to do it for you.

Nov 5, 2019
Good grief. You are trying to mix RAM with completely different memory chips. You best clock them at JEDEC speeds unless you plan on testing each timing one by one to see if they work with your memory controller. It can work, but if what I just typed sounds like a foreign language then you need to go to a shop and pay someone to do it for you.

Yea sorry I'm really new to all this. So I'm guessing I should just buy another stick of the same ram that came with the computer and that should be fine?

Yea sorry I'm really new to all this. So I'm guessing I should just buy another stick of the same ram that came with the computer and that should be fine?

If only it was that easy. You could actually get the same model, but have different ICs in the stick because manufacturers change things all of the time. The safest thing to do is buy pairs of sticks together at once time.

Nov 5, 2019
If only it was that easy. You could actually get the same model, but have different ICs in the stick because manufacturers change things all of the time. The safest thing to do is buy pairs of sticks together at once time.

But I did buy them together, I bought corsair 2 x8gb vengeance pros, I also installed them together, maybe your thinking I kept the old ram in there too which I did not, but when I took the corsair out and put the old ram back in the issues went away that's why I'm assuming it was the new ram that was the issue.

D

Deleted member 14196

sorry, misread..

reseat the new ram and RESET your CMOS

then boot and you should be fine, unless that ram kit is not compatible with your motherboard

Reactions: damric
Nov 5, 2019
get rid of the old ram and use only the new kit of 2x8, problem solved. you've been told not to mix ram. only ram sold in kits are guaranteed to work together if it's compatible with your mobo

I did take out the old ram prior to installing the new ram and that's when I got the issues. I took the new ram out and put the old ram back, reran windows memory tool and the issue went away.