Question Issue with Laptop background, taskbar, and apps not loading ?

Aug 28, 2022
Yesterday my laptop fine, I always unplug it when I'm done using it and I lost the battery so it always needs to be plugged in. I only use it for one game and haven't been able to update it since the C drive is 120gb for years, which when it was having this issue I saw it was down to 400+mb and I got rid of some temporary files to get it back to 800+mb. The issue I have is when I load up and type my password for less then maybe 2-3 minutes I'm able to do stuff, like startup apps load and everything.

Then the issue is the taskbar and background desktop, nothing is clickable and sometimes both give my cursor a loading screen. Whatever apps I have open stop responding. Ctrl alt delete doesn't work to bring up the menu to get the task manager or restart the PC. My mouse cursor is still able to move, but sometimes its like the screen froze. Also, sometimes whatever app I have open I can click things within it but its very limited. It kinda feels like the PC gets really sluggish when all of this happens.

I've tried restarting multiple times never worked. Only time it seemed functional for 1 hour was when I freed up some space on the C drive from 400 to 800mb. Thought maybe it was a space issue, but don't get why after 1 hour of being on it stopped working ? I doubt it would be a virus since I don't do browsing and only play 1 old online game on it.

I think my PC is Windows 8 or maybe 10 but can't update it anymore.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what make/model laptop?

Buy a bigger ssd and replace the 120gb. a 256gb or 512gb would give you space to move, install games as well.
ssd operate slower if they have less than 10% free space. Yours is still way below that now.
You need about 12gb free. not 800mb

That could fix all the problems. SSD doesn't have any space to move files around.

did you run disk cleanup and click the shield to include system files, as that will clear windows update files, that could give you some space back too.
wDafgbx.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Aug 28, 2022
Yes, I did disk cleanup and always remove those system files since that seems to be the only safe files I can remove. So, the first time I had the issue I did disk cleanup and my laptop seemed fixed and was useable for 1 hour, but then it regress back to the same problem.
This was my PC
https://www.newegg.com/black-red-ms...-2202-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834152601R, kinda hard to get the specs when it freezes so fast.

The C drive is 128 gb SSD that I tried to remove all the none operating files, but sometimes programs still want to make folders in it; however their size doesn't seem that large to cause space problems. I think I upgraded to windows 10 which ate up a lot of my drive space.

Also, I've had it at 800mb-1gb for years maybe 4 or more with no signs of slowing down or freezes. The weird thing was when I tried to do scannow to save my files from being wiped it needed 5gb+ to do it and after that even when everything else freezes but not the the mouse cursor, its movement became so sluggish and slow like dragging it through mud.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT70-Dominator-Dragon-Edition/Specification

win 10 install size is about 35gb if you don't restrict it. The windows folder itself is only 17gb. I have a Win 10 Virtual Machine that works in 32gb of storage but well, I don't use it for a lot. its got 6gb free space. My actual C drive has 600gb free but thats another story.

The weird thing was when I tried to do scannow to save my files from being wiped it needed 5gb+ to do it and after that even when everything else freezes but not the the mouse cursor, its movement became so sluggish and slow like dragging it through mud.

scannow doesn't stop files being wiped? it just checks system files. It like all other processes need room to move.

If you only got at most 1gb of free space, that is all the drive has to shuffle files around, so its going to be slow. Almost all actions need space, even if its just temporary.

I would buy a 512gb ssd and there is a good chance all your slowness will go away. You don't need that much just for C but once you go ssd, its hard to go back to hdd. Gives space to install other things on ssd besides the system.

SSD use empty space for error correction. The smaller the drive, the less spare blocks it has to swap data into if a block is damaged. If you using almost entire drive, it doesn't have much spare.

Can you install this on hdd and run it on C? Curious what its health is like - Download Crystaldiskinfo (Blue icons) - https://crystalmark.info/en/

could clean install windows and see if that helps. Clearly there is more on drive than just windows.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022
HFS128G3AMNB-2200A
WDC WD10JPVX-22JC3T0

Not sure if you were asking for their names of the drives. Cause there descriptions seem kinda vague and difference is the names and Bus numbers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Explains what you have https://www.cpumedics.com/hynix-hfs128g3amnb-2200a-128gb-6gb-s-msata-mlc-solid-state-ssd/

some models of your laptop can take up to 3 of those. At once.

I think you can get up to 512gb msata drives. You could get a 256 and add it to the 128, but it would be smart to put windows on the 256 and use 128 as storage instead. or games.

what actual model laptop as the G70 seems to have different variants
might be 2qd
just be great to know what msata drives it can take.

probably accept something like https://www.umart.com.au/product/samsung-250g-msata-ssd-860-evo-41479

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Thanks for the help and when you say both drives are you talking about the D drive hardrive too?
Yes. A lot of people just remove the Msata and the hdd, and replace both with an ssd.

Problem with msata is there aren't many new ones. I think biggest I can see is maybe 1tb. SSD passed them by.

It made sense at a time ssd were too small to do anything other than be a boot drive, as they were smaller in capacity than hdd at time. But in the last few years, ssd have caught up and hdd are just storage now, not where you need to install everything.