[SOLVED] Issue with Maximus Hero XI motherboard(i think). Please Help!

Aug 14, 2019
Hi all,

I recently built a new pc. However, I'm having several issues, and I haven't installed OS or gotten into BIOS.

First issue: My monitor is alienware ultrawide AW3418DW. I tried connecting it through the DP2 port of both the mobo, and the gpu. The computer boots up, then restarts, followed by a vga yellow light and a led white light. However, It boots up fine using HDMI on both gpu and mobo.

Second issue: So i continue to boot with hdmi. I get this error before I can even get into BIOS: An M.2 SATA device has been detected in the M.2_2 socket. The M.2_2 socket can only support PCIE devices. Using an M.2 SATA device will not work on this socket. However, this is weird because I have a 970 EVO Plus, which i'm pretttty sure supports PCIE.

Here is my specs:
Asus Rog Maximus Hero XI,
Intel 9900k,
G skill tridentZ RGB 3200 CAS16
EVGA SC2 1080ti
NZXT Kraken x72
970 EVO Plus M2 SSD
EVGA G2 850W

Monitor:
Alienware AW3418DW

If you have any idea, please help! I've been scratching my head over this for a while :(

Solution
First issue: My monitor is alienware ultrawide AW3418DW. I tried connecting it through the DP2 port of both the mobo, and the gpu. The computer boots up, then restarts, followed by a vga yellow light and a led white light. However, It boots up fine using HDMI on both gpu and mobo.

I had the same issue at first. I thought it was something technically complicated or out of my basic knowledge of video cables, but it turned out that the problem was much simpler than that. The DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor was faulty. That was literally the only issue. If the HDMI works but the DisplayPort doesn't (like my case at first) that means the issue is most likely in your DisplayPort cable, not your monitor. Try buying a...
Jul 19, 2019

I had the same issue at first. I thought it was something technically complicated or out of my basic knowledge of video cables, but it turned out that the problem was much simpler than that. The DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor was faulty. That was literally the only issue. If the HDMI works but the DisplayPort doesn't (like my case at first) that means the issue is most likely in your DisplayPort cable, not your monitor. Try buying a DisplayPort from your retailer (or anywhere, really) and if it does work, bring back / refund the DisplayPort that came with the screen to the retailer or contact your online retailer for paying back the price of the new working DisplayPort that you bought and return the faulty one that came with the monitor. Of course, all of that is in case the DisplayPort that come with the monitor turns out to be actually faulty and the one works.

Also, your build seems marvelous. I hope you fix all its issues and enjoy this heavenly build to its extent.

Solution

benjamin4077

Honorable
Aug 24, 2016
Hello infested21 !
It seems we both have same config. I have same CPU, motherboard, RAM and M.2 drive. But I am not being able to install windows on my 970 EVO Plus M2 SSD . I have posted my problem here-

Please please tell me how did you install Windows on the M.2 drive on this motherboard. What BIOS setting you used, how did you add the NVMe driver to windows installation etc. I will be obliged!