Issue with memory speeds in bios

Jul 18, 2018
I just built my first pc. I bought 8gb of ddr4 3000 ram and it only displays as 2133mhz. Does anyone know how to increase it to 3000mhz??
(Note: i am using an msi board and bios)

Solution
It's not a workaround lol. Turning on XMP is just what you have to do to run ram speeds over the JDEC certified speeds of 2133mhz, 2400mhz, or 2666mhz on some newer CPU's(1333mhz on DDR3 platforms). Anything over 2666mhz depending on your CPU is overclocking, the motherboard will not automatically overclock your RAM unless it is told to, regardless of the speeds advertised on the RAMs packaging.

And there should be an option in the BIOS to turn on XMP, using the XTU software is not necessary.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Motherboard model? You need to turn on XMP in the BIOS. Pretty much all motherboards will default to 2133mhz or 2400mhz regardless of a ram kit's advertised speeds, XMP needs to be turned on or you need to set the speed, timing, and voltage manually.

caledbwlch

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
I might have an answer for this one. I bought some Balistix Tactical memory that absolutely refused to be configured to 1600mhz in the BIOS. However; I was able to work around this by applying the XMP profile using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Now when I go in the BIOS, I can see the setting was applied...I don't think I can do it manually in the BIOS still though. It's pretty odd, but the workaround did the trick.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
It's not a workaround lol. Turning on XMP is just what you have to do to run ram speeds over the JDEC certified speeds of 2133mhz, 2400mhz, or 2666mhz on some newer CPU's(1333mhz on DDR3 platforms). Anything over 2666mhz depending on your CPU is overclocking, the motherboard will not automatically overclock your RAM unless it is told to, regardless of the speeds advertised on the RAMs packaging.

And there should be an option in the BIOS to turn on XMP, using the XTU software is not necessary.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS