[SOLVED] Issue with missing data after changing CPU ?

Jun 15, 2021
Hey

Hoping someone can help.

I had a Ryzen 9 in my PC but accidentally broke it when I was swapping out the fan (oops). I bought a Ryzen 5 because that's all budget could stretch to at the minute. When I set it all up and accessed the computer, Windows seems to have reverted back to a save point from about 6 months ago, and everything I had saved since then has vanished from the computer completely.

And ofcourse me being me I didn't have a backup haha.

Has anyone seen anything like this before and know if it's possible to retrieve any of my data?

Thanks!

Solution
is it just going to be one condescending response after another ?
try to be more clear when listing symptoms and probable causes.
saying you "broke" a CPU when "swapping out fan"
is definitely not the same as dropping the actual CPU and physically damaging it.

swapping out a fan does not involve removing the CPU
so we would be trying to discover the actual cause of your issue before diagnosing it.
does anyone have any actual helpful suggestions regarding my actual problem (retrieving those vanished files)
Windows does not automatically revert to older Backups.
unless specified by the user when booting into Recovery mode or run from within Windows than it would just continue to try and load the existing files.
if you are...
how is that?

if the CPU was already installed correctly, swapping fans would have no physical impact on the CPU whatsoever.
you wouldn't even be touching the CPU.

Probably trying to take off the stock heatsink and fan combo with a cold cpu and not breaking the seal between the heatsink, and thus pulled the cpu out of the socket with the retention clip still in place and bending or breaking pins on the CPU. Then in an attempt to bend the pins back, they broke some and the cpu won't boot, so they bought a new one.

Am I close?

Jun 15, 2021
how is that?

if the CPU was already installed correctly, swapping fans would have no physical impact on the CPU whatsoever.
you wouldn't even be touching the CPU.
Probably trying to take off the stock heatsink and fan combo with a cold cpu and not breaking the seal between the heatsink, and thus pulled the cpu out of the socket with the retention clip still in place and bending or breaking pins on the CPU. Then in an attempt to bend the pins back, they broke some and the cpu won't boot, so they bought a new one.

Am I close?

No I have mild Parkinson's so when I removed the CPU to remove the old thermal paste before applying new I had a sudden tremor and dropped it on the floor and knackered some of the pins. I can assure you that trying to bend them back with my hands would be completely pointless.

Now does anyone have any actual helpful suggestions regarding my actual problem (retrieving those vanished files) or is it just going to be one condescending response after another ?

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
is it just going to be one condescending response after another ?
try to be more clear when listing symptoms and probable causes.
saying you "broke" a CPU when "swapping out fan"
is definitely not the same as dropping the actual CPU and physically damaging it.

swapping out a fan does not involve removing the CPU
so we would be trying to discover the actual cause of your issue before diagnosing it.
does anyone have any actual helpful suggestions regarding my actual problem (retrieving those vanished files)
Windows does not automatically revert to older Backups.
unless specified by the user when booting into Recovery mode or run from within Windows than it would just continue to try and load the existing files.
if you are absolutely positive that this happened with no user input, than take it up with Microsoft.

if you've searched through the Recovery and Backup & Restore options and find nothing closer to today to revert to, than take it as just a learning experience.
make sure you have proper manually created system backups stored elsewhere.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS