Question Freezing issue on my system ?

Aug 22, 2024
Hi everyone,

I’m experiencing a frustrating issue with my system that I’m hoping to get some advice on. Here are the specs of my setup:

• Processor: Intel i7-12700
• Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M AC Gaming
• RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) running at 3600 MHz (recently upgraded from 2x8GB)
• Storage: M.2 SSD (connected to the M.2_2 slot)
• Cooling: Adequate cooling system with no apparent overheating issues

Issue:

Since upgrading my RAM from 2x8GB to 2x16GB running at 3600 MHz, I’ve started encountering system freezes specifically when running the Prime95 Large FFT test. The system runs fine for general tasks and other stress tests but consistently freezes during this particular test. This freezing issue wasn’t present with my previous 16GB RAM setup, and I’ve also noticed it while downloading large files through Epic Games and Steam (which may or may not be related).

Steps I’ve Taken So Far:

1. Checked RAM Settings: Ensured the RAM is running at the correct speed and timings in the BIOS.
2. Reseated Components: Reseated the RAM and other components to ensure proper connections.
3. Swapped SSD Slot: I tried connecting the SSD to a different M.2 slot, but the issue persists.
4. Updated BIOS: Flashed the latest BIOS update for my motherboard.
5. Checked Cooling: Monitored temperatures, and they remain within safe limits during stress tests.

Additional Notes:

• The problem appears to have started after the RAM upgrade.
• The system runs fine for general use and even other benchmarks, but Prime95’s Large FFT test seems to trigger the freeze consistently.
• I’m considering whether the RAM speed or compatibility might be the issue, or if there’s something else I might have missed.

Request for Help:

I’m reaching out to see if anyone has experienced a similar issue or has any suggestions on what might be causing these freezes. Could this be related to the RAM speed, voltage, or a motherboard issue? Any advice or troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

This explanation should provide the community with enough context to help diagnose your issue.