Question Crashing isssue since adding more RAM ?

Simonm16

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
Hello,

I just tried to upgrade my RAM from 16gb to 32gb. I have a ASUS TUF B550 motherboard.

I have never had memory issues before. I added in two additional sticks so i had 4x 8gb same brand, 3600, just different part numbers. I kept getting crashes on WoW, LoL and Civ 6, also chrome would randomly error saying memory issue.

I have since bought a new RAM kit:

Patriot Viper 4 Blackout Series DDR4 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3600MHz Kit​

I installed just this RAM kit into slots 2 and 4, I have turned on XMP and it has pretty much the same profile as my old ram. But about 10 mins into Civ 6 the game is crashing with the same memory related error. The RAM kit is on the motherboards QVL list so i know it should work.

I've tried updating the BIOS
Turning XMP off
Manually setting the timings and frequency in the BIOS
Reset CMOS by shorting the battery and the CTRLK prongs (might be wrong acronym but its the right prongs)

The only other thing i've done is in the bios i noticed my CPU had all it's core locked to 4200 mhz so i turned that to auto and got a decent performance boost on bench marking. But i keep having these crashes and its down to RAM.

I don't know what else to try as I've changed the sticks out with the two different brands and it's highly unlikely both brand new packs of ram are hardware faulty.

Edit: just did a Prime 95 blended test as recommended in the the guide, basically all workers failed either straight away or after a couple mines with a variation of the following:

FATAL ERROR: rounding was 0.5, expected was less than 0.4. What does this mean?

Any idea what I can try next to fix this?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I have a ASUS TUF B550 motherboard.
Asus have a number of TUF series boards under that chipset, which model do you have? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Did you clear the CMOS after verifying your BIOS was successfully flashed to the latest version?

Might want to list your specs like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

I added in two additional sticks so i had 4x 8gb same brand, 3600, just different part numbers.
Please elaborate on the different part numbers. What sort of timeframe are we looking at between the two ram kit pruchases?

Simonm16

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
I have a ASUS TUF B550 motherboard.
Asus have a number of TUF series boards under that chipset, which model do you have? BIOS version for your motherboard?

ASUS® TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
TUF GAMING B550-PLUS BIOS 3607

Did you clear the CMOS after verifying your BIOS was successfully flashed to the latest version?

Yes i did clear the CMOS then

Might want to list your specs like so:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
CPU cooler: PCS FrostFlow 240 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler (AMD)
Motherboard: ASUS® TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Ram: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout Series DDR4 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3600MHz Kit (New kit)
SSD/HDD: 512gb M.2 SSD and a 3tb HDD
GPU: 3080
PSU: CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
PSU Age: 4 years old
Chassis: a PCS case
Monitor: ASUS tuf 27"
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

I added in two additional sticks so i had 4x 8gb same brand, 3600, just different part numbers.
Please elaborate on the different part numbers. What sort of timeframe are we looking at between the two ram kit pruchases?

The extra two sticks are gone now as I've sent them back, I am just using the 2 sticks of patriot viper 4

Simonm16

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
After turning the CPU clocks to be always at 42x like i had them set for years (losing loads of performance apparently) the Prime 95 tests have not error and have been going for about 10 minutes. I know its not a long time but its further than it was before.

So i'm thinking was my RAM issue actually the CPU change i made all along. And if so, why would setting the CPU clocks to Auto in the BIOS (giving me more performance and allowing them to boost properly) not actually work.

Not something i'd considered throughout this process