Issue with new Router/Modem

Aug 1, 2018
Last week the router just died, literally wouldn't turn on. So I bought a new one.

While setting that up, it tells me to reset the modem so I do that. But now my modem won't start up properly, it seems to get stuck booting up. Weird, but the modem is also old, so I get a new one from the service provider.

Now both are up and running, but now I'm noticing my desktop computer (using USB Wireless adapter) is having problems staying connected to the internet. Almost every time I try watching a YouTube video, after about a minute or two, internet connectivity shuts off. Weird thing is if I'm just gaming, although it still seems slower than it used to be, it doesn't disconnect. When I lose internet, it says I'm still connected to the router, just no connectivity. I have to disconnect from the router, and then reconnect to it to regain internet.

I tried running ping tests to the router and I'm getting 20% packet loss.

My phone and other devices connected to the router seem to be working fine without issues. My computer had no problems before with the old router/modem. I didn't update/upgrade anything else. I checked the USB wireless adapter on a laptop, and it worked fine.

What could be the problem?

Aug 1, 2018

Desktop is only like 10m away from the Router (on the same floor in a different room), and with the doors open, pretty much a direct path.