Issue with NZXT Kraken X62 and ASUS Z270e MOBO

NiallSa

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
Pretence:
Hey, So I recently built my first PC and everything was running great. I installed the CAM software to monitor my components temperatures and operate the lights incorporated into the Kraken.

After looking at the CAM software I noticed that my CPU's temperature was getting pretty high under 60% load, peaking at 81 degrees c. I placed my hand on the exhaust for the Kraken's fans and didn't feel any air moving particularly, so I decided to remove the top of the case and take a look, I found that neither of the Kraken X62's fans were spinning. After looking at the CAM software I noted that the fans said 50% but the RPM was at 0.

Looking at the BIOS I noticed in the fan panel (Not sure what exactly to call it) that only one fan was being registered, the CPU_FAN. This was strange because my Kraken was plugged through this and the chassis fans were plugged through CHA_FAN2, however the Chasis fans were spinning and the CPU fans were not.

After monkeying around with the fan header locations I managed to get all the fans working however now the Kraken's lights won't come on.

What I currently have set-up:
One of my Kraken fans is plugged directly into the CPU_FAN, the other is plugged directly into the CPU_OPT, three pin from Kraken is plugged into AIO_PUMP.
My Chasis fans are plugged into CHA_FAN2

On the BIOS it registers something being plugged into CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT and AIO_PUMP but it doesn't register the CHA_FAN2, even though the fans are running.

What I need help with:
I need someone to help me to figure out how to get it so that my Kraken's fans work and the lighting effects also work.

Also does anyone know if there is a way to check if the AIO Pump is actually working beyond believing CAM saying that it is? (Just concerned about this due to the lights not coming on.)

Thanks in advanced for reading through my wall of text.

SPECS:
MOBO: ASUS Strix z270e
CPU: i7-7700k
CPU Cooler: Kraken X62
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (2x8GB)
GPU: ASUS Strix GTX1070
Case: NZXT H440

EDIT: The lighting effects work on start up however when the PC loads Windows they stop.

Also the CAM software is unable to control fan speed the way it is currently set-up.

http://prntscr.com/g4os1i

Solution
So you still have all the connections to the Kraken x62 system done NOT according to the instructions. In that case the CAM software can NOT do you any good at all. I suggest you try again connecting it properly:
1. Check the connection of the multi-headed cable into the pump unit.
2. Check the connections (at both ends) of the cable from the pump's small socket on the side to the mobo USB2 header.
3. Connect the wide power connector from the multi-headed cable to a SATA power output from the PSU.
4. Disconnect all the connections between the Kraken and the mobo fan headers. Connect only the pump unit's 3-pin fan connector (from the multi-headed cable) to the CPU_FAN header.
5. Connect both radiator fans to two of the fan output sockets...

NiallSa

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

What effect would changing it to DC have?

Also yes, I've connected the SATA power cable.

Before I changed the header the Kraken was plugged into the lights worked, the fans however did not.

NiallSa

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
Looks like the LEDs have started working now, however I am still unable to control the fans through the CAM software.

Anyone a whiz with this kinda' thing?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have not followed the instructions that came with the Kraken X62 system, so I'm not surprised that the CAM utility cannot do its job.

The instructions say the system comes with a three-headed cable set that plugs into the pump unit. From that, you should plug the 3-pin female fan connector into the CPU_FAN header. Then ALL the radiator fans must plug into a cable that has four output connectors, even though the unit comes with two fans. Lastly, there's a cable that must plug into a SATA power output from the PSU, to provide power for the entire system. And separately there is a cable that connects from a mini-USB socket on the pump to a mobo USB2 header.

With that system in place and connected properly, the CAM software communicates with the pump unit via the USB cable. The CAM software completely takes over control of the CPU cooling functions, both for the pump and for its fans. It can tell you the pump speed and the rad fan speed, but I doubt that the mobo can do that. I suspect that the Kraken system sends its pump speed to the mobo CPU_FAN header so that it can be monitored for failure (as the mobo CPU_FAN header always does). The CAM software does not take over control of your case fans connected to the CHA_FAN header, as far as I know, although it MAY be able to show those speeds to you. One last detail: like most systems that power several fans from a single connection, the Kraken system can show you the speed of only ONE of its radiator fans, and not any other. Since they are (2 or 4, depending on how you set your system up) all identical, they will all be about the same speed anyway. Technically, however, the Kraken system has no way to be SURE all its rad fans are working, so from time to time you should just take a look and verify that none of the rad fans has failed completely.

NiallSa

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

This is how I had it set-up originally but the fans wouldn't spin so I had to Dr. Frankenstein a temporary fix so that the fans actually span.

Also when I say the CHA_FAN2 isn't displaying I don't mean in CAM, I don't expect it to display here, I mean it's not displaying in the BIOS.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you are SURE that you connected according to instructions and the Kraken rad fans would not spin, but they do work when connect to a different fan header, then you should be talking to their Tech Support people about a faulty unit. But I am also puzzled that your mobo CHA_FAN2 header shows no fan speed if you are sure the fans are plugged in there correctly. By the way, exactly how are you connecting fanS (plural) to that single header?

NiallSa

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

The NZXT H440 case I have has a fan controller on the back which connects to the MOBO and splits off to the fans.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
So you still have all the connections to the Kraken x62 system done NOT according to the instructions. In that case the CAM software can NOT do you any good at all. I suggest you try again connecting it properly:
1. Check the connection of the multi-headed cable into the pump unit.
2. Check the connections (at both ends) of the cable from the pump's small socket on the side to the mobo USB2 header.
3. Connect the wide power connector from the multi-headed cable to a SATA power output from the PSU.
4. Disconnect all the connections between the Kraken and the mobo fan headers. Connect only the pump unit's 3-pin fan connector (from the multi-headed cable) to the CPU_FAN header.
5. Connect both radiator fans to two of the fan output sockets on the cable coming from the multi-headed cable.
6. In BIOS Setup, I suggest you set the CPU_FAN header to use PWM Mode and the Standard profile.

Ignoring the case ventilation fan system for a moment, that should get the Kraken system working with the CAM software able to see it and adjust it properly. If it still will not run the radiator fans, talk to NZXT's Tech Support people right away about a faulty system. In the meantime as a temporary measure, you can revert to your "Frankenstien" arrangement, but I will make a few suggestions for that. First is this: if the system is not working properly, we don't know why. It MIGHT be that the pump is not working. So, when you do get the fans working, check the CPU temperature to make sure it is running as low as it should. If it is, the pump is working. If not, there is a risk of overheating even if the fans work. BUT, assuming it does work this way, I suggest you set your header options in BIOS Setup this way:
(a) the CPU_FAN header with one of the rad fans attached should be set to PWM Mode and Standard profile. IF there is a choice available for the temperature Source (I don't think there is) choose the CPU temperature sensor.
(b) for the CPU_OPT header that has the other rad fan, set it up the same way.
(c) For the AIO_PUMP header with the Kraken pump attached, set it also the same way. I expect this means the pump actually will run full speed all the time and control of the CPU temperature will be done entirely by the rad fans.
In this configuration the CAM software cannot do its control functions because it is getting the wrong signals and can't control things plugged into the wrong places. So I would suggest you un-Install it until the entire Kraken system can be fixed to work properly.

Now, on to the case ventilation fans. It appears you don't understand that fan controller module built into the case. It is actually a special version of a 4-pin fan HUB. It has eight fan output headers on it - one white one with 4 pins, and the others in black with 3 pins. It has two cables that connect it outside. The smaller one with two wires connects to the mobo CHA_FAN header. It brings to the Hub the PWM signal from that header, and sends back to it the speed signal from ONLY the fan plugged into the white Port #1. The larger one with 3 wires MUST be plugged into a 4-pin Molex power output connector from the PSU. This is where the power for all of the Hub's fans is drawn. I have read in several posts that, when using this Hub, you must connect a fan to that white Port #1 or the Hub can't work properly. Ideally, that fan should be a 4-pin unit because that port uses only PWM Mode for control. But a 3-pin fan plugged in here will work, even though it will always run full speed. Then other fans can be plugged into the 3-pin black ports. The ONLY fan speed reported to your mobo and available to "see" is the one plugged into the white port. Finally, in BIOS Setup, go to configuration of the CHA_FAN header that the Hub is connected to. Ensure it is set to use PWM Mode and Standard profile, and that the temperature Source for it is the Motherboard temperature sensor.

When making BIOS Setup changes, remember to SAVE and EXIT so that your setting are saved and used.

Let us know what result happen.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS