Question Issue with OP 17+ Laptop & Nvidia Control Panel displaying all options. Can't change refresh rate, etc.

NatoGhost

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
I have the problem is many games where regardless of my video settings, my FPS will not go above 60. I believe this is because of some software limit. I have tried numerous things to fix it.

I am running an OP 17" Laptop with an onboard Intel video card and a Geforce GTX 1060. I pretty much only use my laptop while plugged in, so I have tried disabling the intel card in an attempt to fix this issue (or what I thought were related issues) without success. When I go into my display settings in Windows, it shows my display at 144 hz. I've gone to a website that tested and reported my display at 144hz. I've changed my settings in games from Ultra to Low and still get 60 FPS, so I don't think that's my legit max'd FPS.

This leads me to the issue in NVIDA Control Panel.... I dont have all the options. I've googled and found this is common in laptops with multiple GPUS. I have tried all the options listed here:

Although when going into my BIOS I did not have the option for a default graphics adapter. The bios this laptop uses is the Aptio Setup Utility. I tried hitting A right when it opens but it seems like it's showing all options but doesn't have that?

So just to clarify, I uninstalled reinstalled my Nvidia drivers. I disabled/enabled the onboard Intel card with no noticeable difference. I went into the Nvidia control panel and turned Vsync off and also made sure my GeForce 1060 was the preferred graphics processor. I also set it for the specific game I was running into this with today (Holdfast, Nations At War).
I'll try to post a screen shot of my Nvidia Control Panel. I confirmed in task manager it's using the correct 1060 now but still capped at 60 FPS.

This is my laptop:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/OVERPOWERED-Gaming-Laptop-17-2-Year-Warranty-144Hz-Intel-i7-8750H-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1060-Mechanical-LED-Keyboard-256-SSD-2TB-HDD-32GB-RAM-Windows-10/887474519

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS