Question Issue with overclocking RAM ?

naozdnelam

Honorable
Mar 11, 2018
Hello all. Recently I've just really got fed up with my PC's frame-rate drops, so I decided it was finally time to overclock my RAM. I had been meaning to do it for a while, but just never got around to trying it until last week. However, when I put it to 3200 MHZ, I didn't realize I also needed to up the voltage since it couldn't reach said frequency stable without doing so. So I resorted to using the DOCP Profile, as I genuinely don't like messing with voltages unless I absolutely have to. However that also resulted in games crashing due to the RAM "being unstable", even though the DOCP Profile automatically overclocks it so you don't have to. Also note that my PC wouldn't allow me to go to 3200 MHZ on either tries for some odd reason, so I had to resort to trying it at 3000 MHZ.

I've obviously made sure my RAM and everything was compatible with my motherboard at the supposed to be speeds, and it is, so I'm not really sure why I'm not able to set it to 3200 MHZ, let alone really set it to any overclock I physically need (stable).

My specs are as follows:

Asus B450-F Gaming ROG Strix Motherboard
Ryzen 5 1600 with stock cooler
16GB 3200 MHZ Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM (but it's been set at 2133 MHZ since I built my PC up until now obviously)
GTX 1660 Ti

I really would like to get this figured out, as I'm just simply tired of the frame-rate drops. Thanks!

Hello all. Recently I've just really got fed up with my PC's frame-rate drops, so I decided it was finally time to overclock my RAM. I had been meaning to do it for a while, but just never got around to trying it until last week. However, when I put it to 3200 MHZ, I didn't realize I also needed to up the voltage since it couldn't reach said frequency stable without doing so. So I resorted to using the DOCP Profile, as I genuinely don't like messing with voltages unless I absolutely have to. However that also resulted in games crashing due to the RAM "being unstable", even though the DOCP Profile automatically overclocks it so you don't have to. Also note that my PC wouldn't allow me to go to 3200 MHZ on either tries for some odd reason, so I had to resort to trying it at 3000 MHZ.

I've obviously made sure my RAM and everything was compatible with my motherboard at the supposed to be speeds, and it is, so I'm not really sure why I'm not able to set it to 3200 MHZ, let alone really set it to any overclock I physically need (stable).

My specs are as follows:

Asus B450-F Gaming ROG Strix Motherboard
Ryzen 5 1600 with stock cooler
16GB 3200 MHZ Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM (but it's been set at 2133 MHZ since I built my PC up until now obviously)
GTX 1660 Ti

I really would like to get this figured out, as I'm just simply tired of the frame-rate drops. Thanks!
Latest bios?

Post a link to the ram you have.

naozdnelam

Honorable
Mar 11, 2018
I selected the DOCP Profile, but when I set it to 3200 MHZ (which was the frequency for the normal DOCP Profile) it didn't start up at 3200 MHZ, and then it would crash game's repeatedly at 3000 MHZ?

naozdnelam

Honorable
Mar 11, 2018
Alright, so I updated my BIOS, clicked on the DOCP Profile and saved and exited. But at 3200 MHZ it gave me an error and restarted, then I tried it at 3133 MHZ, it booted up but it wouldn't load Windows. This is quite puzzling, any suggestions?

Dec 31, 2023
Is the Ryzen 5 1600 Zen Generation? Sorry, I don't know which processor's are which generation off of the top of my head.
Your CPU is first generation Zen, so DDR 4 2667 is the official limit. Zen+ (2600) nets you 2933, and Zen 2/3 (3600/5600) 3200.

Note that these are "best case" numbers, and that if you are running more than two sticks, the system will kick down (if you leave the RAM at the default, non XMP settings). For example, the 5600 will drop down to 2667 with four sticks.

naozdnelam

Honorable
Mar 11, 2018
Your CPU is first generation Zen, so DDR 4 2667 is the official limit. Zen+ (2600) nets you 2933, and Zen 2/3 (3600/5600) 3200.

Note that these are "best case" numbers, and that if you are running more than two sticks, the system will kick down (if you leave the RAM at the default, non XMP settings). For example, the 5600 will drop down to 2667 with four sticks.
Alright, so is there any way to achieve the higher frequency with my processor by tinkering around with settings and what not, or no?

Dec 31, 2023
That would depend upon your BIOS settings, and is very much a case of trial and error.

For me, I prioritise system stability so I just leave things stock. Symptoms of unstable memory can range from refusal to boot to random garbage being written over your data to everything in between. DOCPing your RAM will also increase idle power consumption for no noticeable improvement in performance for 95% of daily tasks.

Not worth the effort IMHO, even though tinkering can be fun.