[SOLVED] Issue with PC crashing at random intervals

Aug 13, 2020
Greetings, everyone. I firstly apologize if this thread is in the inappropriate category, but I can't see where I should put it otherwise.

Now, let me give you a background:

I've been using the same PC for over 10 years now, desperately outdated. Since my knowledge became a bit rusty, I had a friend build a new one for me from used parts that he ordered online. He assembled it, tested it for about 5 hrs and said it was okay. Booted up Win10, drivers and everything, and gave it to me. These are the specifications:

ASUS A320M-K
AMD Ryzen 5 2400 CPU
AMD Radeon Vega 11 GPU (Integrated)
8 GB RAM
120 GB SSD

When I received it, the PC looked fine and worked fine. However, it soon began crashing every couple of hours or so. From what I could tell, the crashes got more intensive when i played video games or YouTube videos. A day later the crashes got more intensive (3 within an hour). I at first believed that this error might be due to the hardware being faulty/damaged, so I took it back to his place to check it out.

However, at his house, connected to his hardware, the tower and its contents seem to work completely fine. We tried playing some more intensive games to see if the problem was there, however no errors appeared. For five hours straight the computer ran totally fine without any errors or crashes.

Therefore, I conclude that the error must be external to the tower. My friend suggests that it's to do with my old monitor: A Samsung SyncMaster 2233SNPlus. This device is from at least 2008, maybe even earlier, and the latest driver is from 2009. Another reason to believe that this is the case is that my monitor would on one occasion go totally black for a couple of seconds without crashing at all (crashes may either be just freezing or BSoD). So I tried running it with its own drivers, and with the general drivers that Microsoft provides. However, the crashes persist.

I suspect the issue is with either the GPU or the Monitor, or the two together. What is your conclusion? I'm planning on replacing the part causing the issue, however my pockets aren't too deep, so I have to choose carefully. Any advice will be detrimental. Thank you.

Solution
My previous device had no issues of this sort. And the other appliances in my house never had power issues. I doubt this is the case.
Then you should test your computer at your friends place at least one more time to see if this trend continue.

Also you should switch (borrow) monitor to see if it seem to trigger the fault.
If the computer tends to crash at your house while running fine in another place, the first I'd look for is if there is a problem with the mains. Earth fault or maybe unstable voltage.

Call your electric company and ask them if any known problem, or get help from a certified electrician to establish if such a problem exist. Do NOT try to solve problems related to mains yourself!

Aug 13, 2020
If the computer tends to crash at your house while running fine in another place, the first I'd look for is if there is a problem with the mains. Earth fault or maybe unstable voltage.

Call your electric company and ask them if any known problem, or get help from a certified electrician to establish if such a problem exist. Do NOT try to solve problems related to mains yourself!
My previous device had no issues of this sort. And the other appliances in my house never had power issues. I doubt this is the case.