Issue with pc freezing under load

Dec 26, 2014
Since I purchased my pc, it has been crashing under heavier load i.e gaming. The image freezes, so does the sound and I can't do anything else other than turn it off with a button. At first I thought there is a problem with temperature because everytme after turning it back on, fans would start spinning at full speed. However after i changed fans, the freezes keep happening however without the fans spinning faster after turning it back on.

My pc specs:
CPU: intel i5 6600k
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 480 GTR black edition
MB: Gigabyte z17- Gaming k3
RAM 2x8 GB Ballistix sport ram 2400MHz
COOLING: 2x Noctua NF-f12
2x Noctua NF-A14
CM Hyper 212 EVO
STORAGE: SAMSUNG SSD 840 PRO for WIN 10
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.11

Solution

If you just stress tested with prime95, then while you WERE stress testing the CPU and ram, you were NOT stressing the GPU. Furmark is just the opposite. I am not aware of a stress test that stresses both the CPU and GPU at the same time. I guess that you could run both PRIME95 on a couple of cores, and Furmark at the same time. You might try that before you buy any new components.

Freezes tend to be memory related and crashes/re-boots/restarts tend to be power related. That being said, an inadequate power supply can have an effect on the memory, so
1. What brand, make and model of PSU do you have?
2. How old is it?
3. Is this a new build? or a pre-built like HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.?
4. Has this behavior just started, or has it been happening since the PC was new?

I suspect an issue with the memory. Try using only one memory stick at a time, to see if we can identify a faulty memory stick. You can also download and run MEMTEST86.

Toxic_Cobra

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016
I second this. I had my build and it worked fine but crashed sometimes and I figured out one ram stick was faulty, try taking out all but one memory stick and test them all individually untill you find the stick that won't boot, as clarkjd stated. If it crashes during memtest then it's definitely ram related.

Since you say that the freezes only occur during heavier load, I did a closer look at your PSU, and according to this:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
you have a tier 4 PSU(tier 1 is best and tier7 is worst). Usually, a tier 4 PSU is used for an office productivity type PC, but not really good for the high demands of a gaming system. If your PSU can't supply enough power to your system, it can exhibit strange behavior, including freezes.
If you can eliminate the memory as an issue, You can download and run PRIME95 as a stress test for everything but the video card. This would show any issues with overheating.

MEMTEST86 consists of several different tests during each pass. How many passes did you run?

At this point, we know that the freezes tend to happen when under load, but we haven't narrowed it down to a specific part. If you haven't already, I suggest that you run Prime95, and let it run overnight, or until it freezes. Run the test that uses the most memory. Monitor the temps.

Two things to remember:
1. the online PSU calculators are, at best, estimates based on average values. They are not 100 percent accurate.
2. Programs, like Afterburner, are also based on industry averages, and are at the mercies of the individual sensors of whatever they are measuring. The difference between 600 and 601 watts is basically insignificant.

That being said, the fact that Afterburner is showing that you are using 600+ watts of a 600 watt PSU is troubling, and, if anywhere close to true, would explain the freezes. PSUs can usually exceed their ratings, but not for long, and good ones will go into protection mode, either OCP, OVP, maybe even OWP.

Now, what is causing the excessive power draw is way beyond any diagnostics we can do over the internet. Your options are to replace specific components, one at a time, until you locate the culprit; or take it to a repair shop and let them zero in on the offending component.

That is always a possibility, but I've not heard of anybody else complaining about that in Afterburner . Can you get a different (or older) release of Afterburner to test?

If you just stress tested with prime95, then while you WERE stress testing the CPU and ram, you were NOT stressing the GPU. Furmark is just the opposite. I am not aware of a stress test that stresses both the CPU and GPU at the same time. I guess that you could run both PRIME95 on a couple of cores, and Furmark at the same time. You might try that before you buy any new components.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS