[SOLVED] Issue with PG278QR above 85hz

Yorxam

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019
So I just got the pg278qr. I have the option to put it up to 144hz+ but when I did this is what it did (pg278qr is on the left sorry about the potato quality, don't have a lot of lighting in this room or a good smartphone) View: https://i.imgur.com/wBegX8T.jpg
as you can see the display just shows two white and grey bars (sometimes it's different colors but it's always two colored flickering bars) and nothing happens until I revert back to 85hz and under, then the display is normal again, after some playing around by some miracle it worked (no idea what I did, just restarted a few times and tried going between a bunch of different refresh rates then it just started working like magic) and I was at 165hz, after trying a game and reading some reviews, I decided I didn't want to OC to 165hz because of the ghosting issues.

So when I stopped the game to put it down to 144hz it once again just stopped working (giving the same image result as above) and once again refuses to go over 85hz (without breaking the display) now no matter what I do.

my specs are

Windows 10
CPU: i7-4790k
GPU: SLI 980 ti
RAM: 16gb

Not sure if more info is needed then that. Not sure if more info is needed then that. I've tried completely disconnecting the second monitor, turning SLI off, running at different rates above 85hz, connecting monitor to wall outlet instead of power bar outlet, no dice.

I just don't understand why it worked for the length of a game and now it's just gone. Is it because I have SLI cards, two monitors, something else? Anyone have any clue? I know that there's the whole Display Port 1.1 and 1.2 thing, but why would the manufacturer include a 1.1 cable with a 144hz monitor? And even so, if it's a 1.1 why would it work once by some miracle and then stop working. I might try to get a new DP cable tomorrow from a local PC shop, but I just don't think that's the issue.

UPDATE: After some troubleshooting, if I enable 144hz while I'm IN a game, it works no problem, buttersmooth 144hz. But as soon as I leave the game or try to enable it just on the desktop with no game running, I get that issue posted above... What's that about? I guess I can turn it on when I'm in game then turn it off before I leave the game, but I'd rather not have to do that everytime, that and sometimes when I turn it off before leaving the game it just reverts itself to 144hz and breaks the display again.

Last edited:
Solution
So I figured out my problem. In case anyone finds this thread.

I use Nvidia Inspector's Multi Display Power Saver. My desktop was set to run my GPU at low clock speed when idle (not gaming), I do believe that is what caused the issues. I applied explore.exe (my desktop) as a full 3D application and now I can run 144hz no issue in game or out of game. Seems that for the 980ti atleast when the clock is too low it causes issues with 144hz not displaying properly.

Yorxam

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019
What is the monitor on the right?
If you remove the second monitor from the equation and run only the PG278QR, does it work at >85Hz without issue?

Second monitor is an Asus VE278H, disconnecting it and removing it from the equation still results in the same issue. I updated my original post. If I enable 144hz while IN a game, I get buttersmooth 144hz gameplay, but as soon as I leave the game or just try to get 144hz straight up on the desktop with no game running, the issue arises.

Yorxam

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019
So I figured out my problem. In case anyone finds this thread.

I use Nvidia Inspector's Multi Display Power Saver. My desktop was set to run my GPU at low clock speed when idle (not gaming), I do believe that is what caused the issues. I applied explore.exe (my desktop) as a full 3D application and now I can run 144hz no issue in game or out of game. Seems that for the 980ti atleast when the clock is too low it causes issues with 144hz not displaying properly.

Reactions: Glenwing
Solution