Issue with privileges and admin permissions. URGENT!! Please help, otherwise will not make deadline.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GHL100

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016
Hi,

I'm the only user on this pc before you read on. Ok so I've not a clue as to how this has happened but anyway, One of my disks doesn't allow me to do anything. I can't launch steam games on it, I can't update steam games, I can't delete files, I can't move files etc. So I decided to look into the permissions bit (see below for screenshots) in my D disk, after comparing with my E disk, it shows different users and disk D will not allow me to edit the permissions for "everyone". I can do anything in my other disks, but not disk D. When I click edit to add users or change permissions, so "everyone" can have full control like in my E folder or at least (DESKTOP-SU59GFR\Administrators) which is me, it will not allow me to edit permissions or edit users. Please help as I need to be able to copy or move some work onto a usb stick!

Thanks!

83e5859fd5d7684f957bc10ef9df56ea.png

73ee3486c498dc560697a5941f638fda.png
672b8bd23da054ce90ac647c0191ffd5.png

The first screenshot shows what disk D should be like and what I assume it was until yesterday sometime since this is my other disk, the 2nd screenshot shows whatthe D disk's permissions is like now, and the third shows what happens after clicking the edit button on the D disk - as you can see the permissions for everyone is greyed out so I cannot tick boxes to allow neither can I add or remove as well. It shouldn't even say everyone either.

Solution
After Googling around a bit, it does seem that initializing a drive will indeed erase the contents. You could try downloading WinDirStat (free program) and see if that program sees your D drive and its contents. If it can, click on a folder and select "Explore Here". That will bring up another window showing the individual files in the folder and you can copy and paste them somewhere else. Kind of tedious, but it may work for you.