Issue with privileges and admin permissions. URGENT!! Please help, otherwise will not make deadline.

GHL100

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016
Hi,

I'm the only user on this pc before you read on. Ok so I've not a clue as to how this has happened but anyway, One of my disks doesn't allow me to do anything. I can't launch steam games on it, I can't update steam games, I can't delete files, I can't move files etc. So I decided to look into the permissions bit (see below for screenshots) in my D disk, after comparing with my E disk, it shows different users and disk D will not allow me to edit the permissions for "everyone". I can do anything in my other disks, but not disk D. When I click edit to add users or change permissions, so "everyone" can have full control like in my E folder or at least (DESKTOP-SU59GFR\Administrators) which is me, it will not allow me to edit permissions or edit users. Please help as I need to be able to copy or move some work onto a usb stick!

Thanks!

83e5859fd5d7684f957bc10ef9df56ea.png

73ee3486c498dc560697a5941f638fda.png
672b8bd23da054ce90ac647c0191ffd5.png

The first screenshot shows what disk D should be like and what I assume it was until yesterday sometime since this is my other disk, the 2nd screenshot shows whatthe D disk's permissions is like now, and the third shows what happens after clicking the edit button on the D disk - as you can see the permissions for everyone is greyed out so I cannot tick boxes to allow neither can I add or remove as well. It shouldn't even say everyone either.

Solution
After Googling around a bit, it does seem that initializing a drive will indeed erase the contents. You could try downloading WinDirStat (free program) and see if that program sees your D drive and its contents. If it can, click on a folder and select "Explore Here". That will bring up another window showing the individual files in the folder and you can copy and paste them somewhere else. Kind of tedious, but it may work for you.
Hello... Windows has "security" and you have to give permission to the OS as "administrator" to use added drives.
Right click Computer-Manage-storage-Disk Management right click the graphics below for the "D" drive (complete partitioning and formatting for the drive, if needed)... And "Mark Partition as Active"... Typically you don't need to go where you are unless it will be a "semi-public" office/family/network drive use... and you want to protect it from accidental deleting-access.

GHL100

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016

Will that delete my files? Also the first way is not an option as it does not let me add myself or anyone.

GHL100

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016

I've just tried to mark it as active but its already active, it isn't a new drive, I've been using it for a good 2 months now and has worked fine until yesterday where I might've accidentally done something. I am the administrator for the E drive which is in the same hdd as the D drive.

Hello... But are you logged in as a ADMIN or as a 'user"... try ADMIN, and see if you can get done what you need to on it, before changing too many things on the drive permissions? B /

Since it was yesterday... Do you have a resent restore point created?

GHL100

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016

There are no restore points unfortunately and I'm the only user and also have admin rights

Hello... OK... has there been any Dl'd / installed APPs or software.... since this problem was noticed?

On my D drive security-
Authen users... everything checked marked but... Full Control & special permissions
SYS... everything checked marked but... special permissions
ADMIN... everything checked marked but... special permissions
User... only read & excute, list, read are checked marked.

This is a default OS setting on this machine. B / sometimes you need to log off and log back on for changes to take effect.

GHL100

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016

Ok so I thought the issue was something completely different yesterday, I had to download autograph (a programme) and it needed an extra dll file, I accidentally placed it in a folder called msdownld.tmp which was hidden by default. When I tried to delete it required admin rights and didn't delete. I then deleted that folder (a google search told me that folder is useless as it is a temporary folder that had 0kbs anyway), then after I realised something was up, I googled it, found a similar issue, tried the fix using the msconfig in search bar and disabled some stuff to make sure it wasn't the problem, restarted and then enabled them all again as it was not the problem. It is definitely to do with the permissions, as when steam is trying to update games on my D disk right now, it says missing file priveleges.

Hello... OK... it could be it is a "Permissions" Or "Set program Access" with the Online program then... you should go to that area of the OS then and not here. B ) Try these Help searches on your OS for instructions.

Deleting files can lead to this too... did you try an un-install of the program, and the re-install for the proper pop up OS Window to give this permission? the un-install may set your OS/Computer back to Good settings too. B /

GHL100

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016

Autograph isn't an online program, it is permissions for the whole drive not just with online program, I don't have any permissions except read and write for anything in the entire drive

Hello... Can you link me what 'autograph" is? Win 10 OS APP? sorry Win7 here B )
How much Data/programs is on it? You may need to re-initialize the drive to the OS, as ADMIN B / as the fastest means to fix this... after poking around and deleting files etc. B /

GHL100

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016

http://www.autograph-maths.com/
Autograph is basically a program for drawing 2D/3D graphs on the computer, necessary for my c3 coursework in maths. How would I go about to re-initialise the drive to the OS? Thanks for your help so far by the way!
Oh and it has a lot of data on it, mostly non essential, but I'd prefer not to have to install a load of programs again

GHL100

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016

No unfortunately I can't connect it to another computer. It won't allow me to copy any data onto a usb stick anyway.

What I was thinking was that if you could connect it to another computer, that might allow you to copy the data to a USB stick while connected to the other computer. Then you could format it while still on the other computer, before installing it back into your computer. Are you at a university? Ask for help from the IT department. Another student with a computer.

GHL100

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016

I'm in sixth form at home right now so I can't get help unfortunately, and I'd need another pc to do so, but this is the only one in my home.

OK, I understand. I am not very knowledgeable with permissions and access. I am the only account on my computers and am the administrator, so I have never had an issue accessing any drive. But I "think" if you re-initialized the drive, you would lose the data. (not 100% sure of this, but I wouldn't want to take the risk).

GHL100

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016

ok good to know, I'll avoid doing that until confirmation as there are some important stuff I don't want to lose

Hello... as a "simple test" UN-mark the Partitions "Active"... exit Windows... power down.
Unplug the power and sata cable from the drive or MB... re-boot Windows.... and exit windows.
plug the power and sata cable into the drive or MB... re-boot Windows and check the status of the drive in Disk management, mark partitions active... did that change permissions with it? B /

GHL100

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016

ok I'll try this but I'll have to try this tomorrow as it is almost 12am, I'll inform you of the results tomorrow.

After Googling around a bit, it does seem that initializing a drive will indeed erase the contents. You could try downloading WinDirStat (free program) and see if that program sees your D drive and its contents. If it can, click on a folder and select "Explore Here". That will bring up another window showing the individual files in the folder and you can copy and paste them somewhere else. Kind of tedious, but it may work for you.

Solution

GHL100

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016

Ok thanks a lot. I'll try this after 6th form tomorrow.

GHL100

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016
ok so I ended up finding a program that just copied some important files to my E drive, which I've now been able to send to my teacher before the deadline :D and just decided to go for a quick format which erases everything and reset everything to its default settings, also used steam mover so I didn't have to redownload the games. Weirdly these programs had access to the filed and could copy it but I couldn't as admin.