Question Issue with ROG Strix B450-f Gaming motherboard (probably?). Issues with video card, now system won't post

Jsnyder87

Prominent
Jul 18, 2019
Hey all,

Been having a month-long saga with my pc. Was playing Valheim about a month ago and after a bit my monitor showed graphical glitches looking like red boxes shortly before video freezing totally. I did a hard shutdown, tried again, same thing. One more hard shutdown, waited a half hour, same thing. After that, no video is output at all. At one point (can't remember if the initial red graphical glitches or the last retry), I can hear the fans spinning into overdrive and it smells like burning plastic.

Came back to it the next day, still can't get video output. I watch the indicator lights on my board and it stops on white (video card), so I'm thinking, great, I have to get a new video card in the current market. Luckily mine was still in RMA range, so I filed a claim, sent my card on its viking voyage to Anaheim, and I just received my replacement yesterday.

In the meantime I put in an old card which can't really do much except keep my system running. I tempted fate and tried to run Apex Legends to configure my PC account to match it with my console account, and I have the same situation, where the fans speed up and it smells like burning plastic. Hard shutdown, now my backup card is boned.

Anyways, I installed my new card yesterday. Not getting any video output (tried HDMI and DisplayPort hookups for monitor), I notice that my board is still showing the white indicator light. After awhile it turns green for failed POST. Tried a different video card slot, same thing. Tried different PCIE power supply cables with the card in both slots, same thing. Video card itself lights up so I assume it's getting power / the PCI slot isn't totally borked

A lot of the troubleshooting things for this are for things that are new builds. But my RAM, my boot device, all that stuff was working before the incident and again briefly with my subpar backup card.

Any thoughts? What's the progression on eliminating possibilities and my next moves?

Anywho, my system specs:
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B450-f Gaming AM4 ATX Motherboard
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x Processor
Video Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 Ti SC GAMING 8 GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO1 TB SSD (a couple other hard drives, but this is my boot HD)
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX750 750W
Case: Cooler Master Full Size

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS