Question Issue with RTX 2080ti install

Jan 19, 2020
I recently tried to upgrade my rig from a Titan X to a RTX 2080ti card.
The only change was the card and swapping out a pci e 6 pin cable to a new 8 pin one.

Unfortunately, the computer does not boot past the UEFI splash screen. It hangs for about 20 secs, and then gives a single beep.
At first I thought it was a CMOS issue, but taking out the battery did not do anything to solve the issue.
I actually put my old card back in, and confirmed the CMOS was reset (got prompted to set to default setting etc.) so it wasn't that...

I think I have narrowed down my issue to two possible problems, but I would love to have some extra input just in case it saves me some time.

1) Drivers issue: In my ultimate wisdom, I figured that nowadays I would not need to uninstall my previous drivers since I was going Nvidia -> Nvidia.
The last time I did this step was when I switched from AMD -> Nvidia and the last few upgrades were fine without this step.
I will probably check this later today if I get the chance.

2) Motherboard BIOS compatibility issue: My mobo is fairly outdated compared to the RTX card, but looking up info it seems like it should be supported. I am guessing I need to update my BIOS just to be sure, but that is actually something I have never fiddled with in the past.
I checked my BIOS last night this is the current mobo/UEFI version I am running:
ASROCK H67DE L1.25Z

I will try to troubleshoot the issue on my own as well, but any input would be appreciated!

RealBeast

Titan
Your first mistake was assumption #1. Always remove the drivers and then change the cards unless they are absolutely identical. When reinstalling use the latest drivers available for the new card.

Try to start up with the old card and do that.

Jan 19, 2020
Your first mistake was assumption #1. Always remove the drivers and then change the cards unless they are absolutely identical. When reinstalling use the latest drivers available for the new card.

Try to start up with the old card and do that.

Hey sorry for the late reply.
I finally had a chance with the kids out of the house to try another proper install, and even after uninstalling my pascal card, I am getting the same issue where the card doesn't seem to be recognized by my mobo.

I uninstalled all drivers, took the card out, popped the cmos, and installed the bew RTX card.

I still got the same issue where it got stuck at the bios loading screen, and wouldn't even let me access the bios options. It hangs for a minute, the beeps and tries to restart but still gets stuck.

Weirdly enough it wouldn't even load into the "default value" screen you usually hit after popping the cmos.

Taking the RTX card out and replacing it with my pascal took me directly to the default value screen after booting.

Is this a sign that my mobo bios is not supported? Some quick google searches make it seem like that's the case, and I am a bit scared to mess around with custom bios...

Jan 19, 2020
What did you use to uninstall the drivers? When switching cards, DDU is the best option to use

I did not use DDU. I just went thru the normal Windows routes (Device Manager and Add/Remove Programs).

Considering it won't even do anything at the bios loading screen, and the CMOS reset will only register after once again replacing my new card, I am starting to really doubt that it is a gfx driver issue. Especially since I have never had issues outside of switching between makers...

Is there any way to look up the compatibility with my current UEFI Bios? It is a super old OEM mobo
with the default bios as far as I can remember.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Just as additional info, I did find a similar thread out there with users who seemed to have had the same issue witht he same mobo.
https://www.station-drivers.com/ind...temid=858&catid=7&id=260&lang=en&limitstart=6

There is a link to some updates bios drivers on dropbox as well, which I have downloaded...
I am just a bit scared to take the plunge into flashing bios territory.
I would not try a BIOS update from any source other than the manufacturer. You are just asking for trouble (and a bricked system) by doing so.

Reactions: RealBeast

RealBeast

Titan
There are more recent bios versions available from the manufacturer HERE, however they are still very old. Nonetheless, they will be safe to use if you follow the directions and insure that your power doesn't go off during the process. The latest beta version from 2013 was for Windows 8 support, so it is possible that it could help.

And, no don't ever use a custom bios for motherboards --- only those from the manufacturer.

Jan 19, 2020
There are more recent bios versions available from the manufacturer HERE, however they are still very old. Nonetheless, they will be safe to use if you follow the directions and insure that your power doesn't go off during the process. The latest beta version from 2013 was for Windows 8 support, so it is possible that it could help.

And, no don't ever use a custom bios for motherboards --- only those from the manufacturer.

I found those as well, however it's for a slightly different mobo.
I have the OEM H67DE, not the H67DE3 so I am afraid there are no versions available for my exact motherboard.

Jan 19, 2020
So the OEM has not made any later bios available listed under the computer model containing the motherboard?

No, it was a fairly standard PC I bought from a local retailer. Don't remember the actual model now unfortunately. I used it as a base when upgrading my CPU in the past it was an OEM board from an older PC I used for work purposes. It is ever so slightly different from the DE3 version.

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
I don't believe so. I have a 750 psu so it should be enough. I do not think the power draw would be that much higher than my Titan X.

Which 2080ti model do you have? I thought all of them use 2x 8 pin (and some even 3x) for power. Also the 8 pin that you use, is a dedicated cable or are you using an adapter from 6 pin to 8?

Last edited: