Question Issue with RX 480

Juu Nii

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016
Hello, I've been having a problem with my RX480 GPU. For some reason it's clock speed is locked down to 1220MHz and Memory Clock is locked to 7840 MHz according to GPU Tweak II. It is really bothering me as I cannot change my clocks at all now. I've also tried using Afterburner but cannot even change the clock at all. It seems like they're being locked at 0.

This came to my attention after i've been having several random crashes while playing games. The crash randomly just comes. My whole computer shuts downs and reboots. Happens in Escape From Tarkov mostly. Did the same type of crash in Ace Combat 7 once too. Everything was working fine for some time now and just now this started happening.

I've attached a picture of my GPU-Z as well as the GPU Tweak II. It says the GPU clock as well as memory clock is set to 0MHz. Meanwhile according to GPU Tweak II, the GPU clock maxes out at 1310MHz which is default. Also on GPU-Z some information is being shown as "Unknown"

View: https://i.imgur.com/Z0HFmqG.png

View: https://imgur.com/5tb5HaV

Also driver version is 19.3.2

I've also had a problem with the graphics card crashing in OC mode before since purchase.

Juu Nii

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016
Yes. Here's my specs. Sorry for forgetting. I'm just so frustrated with AMD/Asus right now...

CPU: Intel I5-6500
GPU: Asus ROG Strix RX480 8Gb
Mobo: AsRock Fatal1ty B150 Gaming K4
PSU: Corsair VS550
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 2133 MHz CL14
In case it matters. I'm running a dual monitor setup with one being a 144Hz 1080p and other 60Hz 1080p

Additional question. Is it normal for memory clocks to be stuck at maximum. In this case 2000MHz and power draw to be 20-30W on idle?

Asus GPU Tweak II could be buggy at times, have you tried AMD Radeon software?
What are the temperature of the GPU and CPU at idle and load?
How old is that Corsair VS PSU?
The VS series are the Corsair entry level (low quality), good for low demanding systems.
I wouldn't go below the CORSAIR CX-M series

Juu Nii

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016
Temperature at idle is around 50 degrees. At load it gets up to 75-80 degrees. The PSU is about 2 years old.

When it comes down to the clock speeds, Downgrading to an earlier driver version from when they used to work doesn't seem to work.

Juu Nii

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016
Scratch those temps under load. I just now saw when I was loading into Tarkov my temps rose up to 86 degrees. After it for a millisecond it dropped to 70 degree and back up to 86 and crash. I think something with the cooling is off.... Or could it be those memory clocks running at max all the time?

Juu Nii

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016
For some reason I have a funny feeling the card is broke. In the main menu of Tarkov, fans spinning at 100% the temperatures are 73 degrees... That's quite hot for 3x3500RPM fans...

For some reason I have a funny feeling the card is broke. In the main menu of Tarkov, fans spinning at 100% the temperatures are 73 degrees... That's quite hot for 3x3500RPM fans...
That GPU runs hot, but it should not be above 80° C when the fans are at 100%.
You should remove all those utilities and use the AMD software to set max temp and fan speed and if it doesn't drop the temps...then RMA the GPU.

Juu Nii

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016
That GPU runs hot, but it should not be above 80° C when the fans are at 100%.
You should remove all those utilities and use the AMD software to set max temp and fan speed and if it doesn't drop the temps...then RMA the GPU.
I just completely reinstalled Windows, just to get rid of EVERYTHING in case I have a well hidden malware/miner in my computer. I will see what happens. I doubt I can get a replacement. I got the GPU in late 2016. But i've already been in contact with them trying to explain what is happening.

Last edited:
Try using AMD WattMan (inside AMD settings). And set a manual voltage curve. For some reference points, my RX480 does:
1145MHz@920mV
1235MHz@950mV
1305MHz@1020mV
2000MHz VRAM@910mV

How many (and what size) case fans do you have as intake/exhaust?
Have you tested with the side panel removed from your case?

Juu Nii

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016
Hello. As an update to the post. I've drastically got the crashes reduced by underclocking the card to 1220MHz. The exact same my GPU Tweak II was trying to put it in. I'm not sure if it is just coincidence. I also lowered memory clocks to 1800MHz and discovered that the memory clock stays maxed out because I have a secondary monitor plugged in through HDMI.

ASUS Technical support told me to contact the retailer to get the card "serviced" as to them it looks like a hardware issue. I believe the same as the card should be running @ 1330 MHz fine straight from the factory. So, I'm gonna try to contact them and meanwhile test those clocks you specified for me.

Oh and yes. I removed the side panel with no effect. And there's 3 what I believe are 60mm fans. ASUS calls them "DirectCU III Patented Wing-Blade Fans"

Last edited: