Question Issue with sleep on new Ryzen 3800x setup

themike

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Hi everyone,

Big fan of Tomshardware, I read here all the time. Sorry about the huge post I am about to write ... I feel like I need to go into lots of details to have any chance at getting a solution. Also, please understand that my 1st language is French, my English is not perfect.

I just built a new Ryzen 3800x setup and I am having an issue when my computer is trying to awake from sleep. When that happens, the fans starts spinning at max speed, the backlit of my keyboard come back up but the screen never detects any signal. If press RESET, nothing happens (not event he fans speed change that usually occurs during boot). The POWER button also doesn't do anything, even holding it for 30s, the computer just doesn't turn off. If I flip the power supply switch off, then back on a few seconds later, the fans goes back to spinning full speed and nothing happens. If I flip the power supply switch off, but then wait longer (like 2 min), then when I turn the computer back on, the BIOS takes a longer than usual (maybe 1 min), but the screen eventually opens and I see the Windows 10 loading screen. After like 5-10 sec, then screen turns off again. At that point, the single push on the POWER button to attempt a Windows shutdown doesn't do anything, but the 4 sec holding POWER to force shutdown does work. At that point, I can finally turn the computer back on and everything works.

The 1st time this happened was yesterday (we are talking about 5 hours after I finished assembling this new build) when I left the computer and Windows 10 went to sleep after it's default setting 30 min of inactivity. I suspected not having yet installed the AMD chipset drivers caused the issue. So today I installed it (latest ones, version 1.8.19.0915), rebooted, then tryed putting the computer to sleep manually via the start menu. It did the EXACT same sequence in details as described earlier.

My setup:

AMD Ryzen 3800x
Gigabyte AORUS Master x570 v1.0 updated to latest BIOS (F5)
32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 16-19-19-39 1.35V (G.Skill Trident Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)
Noctua NH-D15S
Corsair Force MP600 2TB NVMe SSD (M.2 2280 PCIe 4.0)
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000W Titanium
Western Digital Red 10TB Hard drive (WD100EFAX)
Windows 10 Pro 1903 / all windows updates (obviously installed on the Corsair MP600)
Geforce RTX 2060 6GB drivers 436.15 (Gigabyte GV-2060GAMING OC-6GD, that one I bought in January)

The rest is stuff I kept from my older computer (so not brand new assembled yesterday for the 1st time)
Cooler Master HAF-X case (that one I bought years ago)
2 x BenQ PD3200U 32 inch 4k 60hz monitors connected via Club3D Displayport 1.4 cables
Corsair Vengeance K70 mechanical keyboard
Microsoft ergonomic mouse

I believe the computer to be stable at this point other than this wake from sleep issue. I installed Windows / all updates, hours of Spotify, played an hour of Heartstone and tried WoW for like 10 min to see what the framerates look like and it has been running super smooth. I have yet to monitor temperatures / stress test (which I like waiting a week or 2 before doing on a new build).

Here are a bunch of other random information's which are probably unrelated … but it's hard to be sure of anything at this point:

• On the motherboard, other than the hardware described, here is everything that is connected: The power switch, reset switch, the extra USB connector for the front ports of the HAF-X, the CPU fan and 1 Noctua case fan. I am not a fan of power LED and HDD LED.
  • The motherboard came with BIOS F4, at which point the XMP profile was not functional. Enabling XMP would cause the next boot to do a couple reboots and reset BIOS settings / set RAM to 2.13Ghz. BIOS F5 fixed the issue, XMP now works. Most of the "proof of stability" described earlier were done on BIOS F5 with RAM at 3600.
  • The RGB are still enabled for the RAM (fully intend to disable it, just haven't gotten around to it yet)
  • Everything runs at default speed / voltage. There is no overclock here (and I don't really intend to ... plus those Ryzen 3000 aren't really overclock friendly anyway)
  • I did close all software before manually putting the computer to sleep today
  • Softwares I've installed so far other than updates / drivers: CPU-Z 1.90, Spotify, Netflix, Battle.net / Heartstone / WoW, AdGuard for Windows / Edge extension, WinRAR 4.2
Thanks a lot to those who read all of this / attempt to help!
Mike

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS