Question Issue with TightVNC ?

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
I apologize if this is the wrong forum, it's an app-specific issue but it's a networking app, so...

The issue is this: I just upgraded the network card on my file server from the built in 1Gbps adapter to a 2.5Gbps adapter from TP Link (TX 201). I've updated to the latest driver on TP Link's website. It works fine except for one little issue, I use TightVNC to connect to this (headless) server, and it's worked perfectly for years. Since upgrading to the new adapter, it connects every time if I use the lan IP address to connect. If I use the PC name, which is what I've used for years so my wife can easily find the right PC, it connects every *other* time. The first time the server is booted, TightVNC connects. If you close that connection and reopen it, the connection times out. But if you try again, it connects instantly. Then if you try again, it times out. etc etc.

I don't really know what to look for. I've got the properties for the new adapter set exactly, or as close as I can get, to the properties of the old adapter. I've looked through TightVNC's server settings and they haven't changed. This is one of those things that isn't a big deal and has a simple workaround, but it's driving me nuts. Anyone have any thoughts on what could cause this behavior?

Oh, I tried turning off my firewall (McAfee). Then I uninstalled McAfee completely and tried. Then I turned of Windows Defender and tried. No change in behavior. I'm out of ideas, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
I suspect this is something stupid with microsoft.
If you want a hack that just makes it work you could put a entry into the HOSTS file on the remote machine (ie not the server) that maps to the local lan IP.
I tend to always use the IP address just because of these strange issues.

Your problem likely something related to a microsoft machine name compared to a DNS based name for the machine. They are partially related but it is very confusing at times where microsoft gets the name.

It could also be browser related since the tightvnc client most times is run from a web browser. There are so many browser settings and garbage being cached it is hard to say what a browser sometimes uses. If you ping the server via name does it...
If you want a hack that just makes it work you could put a entry into the HOSTS file on the remote machine (ie not the server) that maps to the local lan IP.

Your problem likely something related to a microsoft machine name compared to a DNS based name for the machine. They are partially related but it is very confusing at times where microsoft gets the name.

It could also be browser related since the tightvnc client most times is run from a web browser. There are so many browser settings and garbage being cached it is hard to say what a browser sometimes uses. If you ping the server via name does it consistently respond that would indicate it was some issue with the browser.

Again this is why I always use IP addresses

Reactions: Richj444
Solution

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022

It could also be browser related since the tightvnc client most times is run from a web browser. There are so many browser settings and garbage being cached it is hard to say what a browser sometimes uses. If you ping the server via name does it consistently respond that would indicate it was some issue with the browser.

Again this is why I always use IP addresses
Bill, thanks for the info and sorry I let this hang for a while, stuff happens. I'm fine with using the IP address, but there are several local machines on the network and some of the users tend to get confused without the names.

Regardless, the problem solved itself overnight. I don't know why, I had rebooted everything numerous times before posting. I'm going to chalk it up to yet another Windows oddity.

Hmm...where's the "Best Answer" button?

TRENDING THREADS