Question Issue with Transmission Web Interface ?

Jan 26, 2023
Dear All,

I am trying to connect to a Chrome addon called .torrent Transmission Web Interface
but I am facing an issue with regards to port 9091. The issue is that after implementing the things below, port is still closed..

Things that I implement:
1. Port forwarding to accept Connection.
2. Firewall: inbound rule in order to allow and open that port.

Here is the type of error:
4J4pMZj.png

Here are the addon's settings:
sEGqreD.png

I would appreciate your assistance​

Port forwarding is used when you want to access something that's behind a firewall. If you are indeed trying to access Transmission's Web interface from outside your LAN, then you cannot do that using localhost address (because that only works in the host, locally). You would have to change that to your router's WAN address.

If you are trying to access it within the host, then there's no external firewall at work, so no need to forward anything. In this case just check if the OS firewall (Windows firewall) is not blocking it, and that the application is running and listening on that port.

Jan 26, 2023
Port forwarding is used when you want to access something that's behind a firewall. If you are indeed trying to access Transmission's Web interface from outside your LAN, then you cannot do that using localhost address (because that only works in the host, locally). You would have to change that to your router's WAN address.

If you are trying to access it within the host, then there's no external firewall at work, so no need to forward anything. In this case just check if the OS firewall (Windows firewall) is not blocking it, and that the application is running and listening on that port.
You are right that there is no need of port forwarding because I am trying to access it within the host.
I used an inbound rule within the OS firewall in order to open that port but the port is still closed.

I performed netsh command as well and this is the output.

8XkqiOs.png

Here is also a netstat result.
r4HzBaN.png

As you can see in port 9091 there is a SYN_SENT flag, meaning that the socket is actively attempting to establish a connection.
It also means that the handshake isn't complete (connection timeout)...

Last edited:
We can see the firewall allows connections and that there are attempts at establishing TCP sessions (SYN flagged packets). What we don't know is if there's anything listening on that port. Try netstat -a to see if that port is listening.

Jan 26, 2023
Thank you very much for you help!
I appreciate your research as well.

P.S These are the documentation that I found so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murissokah
It wasn't clear to me whether the issue was fixed or not. If it was, glad to help, if not, try opening "preferences" in transmission, then "remote". There you should be able to enable remote access, which, after restarting transmission, should make it listen on the port.

Jan 26, 2023
It wasn't clear to me whether the issue was fixed or not. If it was, glad to help, if not, try opening "preferences" in transmission, then "remote". There you should be able to enable remote access, which, after restarting transmission, should make it listen on the port.
I did the exact same thing. I installed the app and went to remote section. But still the issue exists.
LQqZMZ1.png

Your network is correctly set, that response you see comes from transmission. The issue is that transmission's web UI was not installed, as reported here.

When you install transmission you need to tell it to install the web interface, otherwise it doesn't. You need to reinstall it and check the box for the Web UI.

PS: kinda lazy of them to leave an option in the settings for something that was not installed.

Reactions: evak_2
Jan 26, 2023
It worked! You are very right! I just watched a tutorial regarding this and it did the exact same thing.
I totally agree on the lazy part of the installation. Web interface package should be installed automatically because that is the point of the whole software.

Anyway once again thanks for your help my friend!

Reactions: Murissokah