Question Issue with USB 3.0 ports on Asus Z690 motherboard ?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
I bought an ASUS Z690 Tuf D4 Gaming motherboard + 12700k in late 2021, and have updated to all latest drivers, ME and bios. Everything has gone fine until yesterday. I have Webcam camera connected to one of the blue USB ports (3.0) on the back panel. Suddenly this didn't work and when I go into device manager there is an "USB port reset" error.

Affected ports can charge my Xbox controller, recognize USB drive, but if I plug the Logitech USB wireless keyboard+ mouse dongle in the port next to it (also blue port) then keyboard and mouse cuts out. All front USB ports work fine. Case is fractal Define 7. Is this a speed issue ? Or a power issue? There are no other problems with other devices or random restarts, shutdowns ect?

I am using Windows 11 latest build.

My PSU is a Corsair 750 W from late 2020.

I bought an ASUS Z690 Tuf D4 Gaming motherboard + 12700k in late 2021, and have updated to all latest drivers, ME and bios. Everything has gone fine until yesterday. I have Webcam camera connected to one of the blue USB ports (3.0) on the back panel. Suddenly this didn't work and when I go into device manager there is an "USB port reset" error.

Affected ports can charge my Xbox controller, recognize USB drive, but if I plug the Logitech USB wireless keyboard+ mouse dongle in the port next to it (also blue port) then keyboard and mouse cuts out. All front USB ports work fine. Case is fractal Define 7. Is this a speed issue ? Or a power issue? There are no other problems with other devices or random restarts, shutdowns ect?

I am using Windows 11 latest build.

My PSU is a Corsair 750 W from late 2020.
Did you go through the Control Panel Power Options menu and make sure that everything related to usb is set to Maximum and things like Usb Selective Suspend are Disabled? Did you go through the Device Manager settings for every usb related port and device and if there is a Power Management tab make sure that the "Allow the computer to turn off this device" box is UNchecked? It is unfortunate that the manufacturers don't provide information about how much power is supplied by each port and sometimes we don't know how much power our various devices draw from each usb socket. So this is sort of uncharted territory here. If you could try plugging the camera into on of the green ports it would be interesting to see if that helps. Otherwise you may have to consider a warranty repair.

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
Did you go through the Control Panel Power Options menu and make sure that everything related to usb is set to Maximum and things like Usb Selective Suspend are Disabled? Did you go through the Device Manager settings for every usb related port and device and if there is a Power Management tab make sure that the "Allow the computer to turn off this device" box is UNchecked? It is unfortunate that the manufacturers don't provide information about how much power is supplied by each port and sometimes we don't know how much power our various devices draw from each usb socket. So this is sort of uncharted territory here. If you could try plugging the camera into on of the green ports it would be interesting to see if that helps. Otherwise you may have to consider a warranty repair.

I don't hope I have to send it back, because then I have to remove CPU, ram and the board from the case.

I will try to do that with Windows. Yesterday I pulled the USB 3.0 cable on the motherboard, and that made it come back. But its like USB 3 connector doesn't set proberly in the board. The board USB 3 connector is according to the MB manual USB 3.2 Gen 1. Could that mean a PSU issue?

P.S. I pulled out the USB 3 connector which goes into the motherboard, and all blue port on the board work fine? What does this surgest? Any idea?

Last edited:
I don't hope I have to send it back, because then I have to remove CPU, ram and the board from the case.

I will try to do that with Windows. Yesterday I pulled the USB 3.0 cable on the motherboard, and that made it come back. But its like USB 3 connector doesn't set proberly in the board. The board USB 3 connector is according to the MB manual USB 3.2 Gen 1. Could that mean a PSU issue?

P.S. I pulled out the USB 3 connector which goes into the motherboard, and all blue port on the board work fine? What does this surgest? Any idea?
That could indicate too many usb devices drawing too much power or there could be a short in one of the usb sockets. If you have a lot of devices connected just for charging like your xbox controller you might consider an external usb hub with its own external power supply.

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
That could indicate too many usb devices drawing too much power or there could be a short in one of the usb sockets. If you have a lot of devices connected just for charging like your xbox controller you might consider an external usb hub with its own external power supply.

Okay, I have an xbox controller and webcam connected, keyboard + mouse dongle from Logitech.

Reactions: dwd999

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
Latest is I did a complete resetting of all internal cables, even cleaned the thermal paste and put on some new. The issue is gone hopefully for good. But no idea what caused it to begin with.

Reactions: dwd999

TRENDING THREADS