[SOLVED] Issue with wifi speed and extender

Apr 8, 2020
So my family has very good internet and on all of our laptops when we do an internet speed test we get and 90mbps download.

I have my own pc upstairs that isn't able to connect wirelessly so I used a wifi extender and an ethernet cable to connect the extender in my wall to my pc. For some reason when I do that my pc gets around 30mbps. Also when a laptop wirelessly connects to the extender it gets the same high 90 speeds.

My motherboard is a b450 tomahawk max, and I'm having extreme ping issues in game.

Solution
"If your can't just run a wire then powerlines and moca are your solutions."

What are powerlines and moca? sorry if this is a dumb question. And if i couldn't do that, do you have a wifi card suggestion?
Ah, you're going to love them!

Powerlines are these units that plug into the wall and you put a cable in on one end and on the other end you plug in something and it runs the ethernet over the noise in your house's power circuits. :love:

Pros to powerlines:
  • set up is instant as they basically work as soon as you plug them in
  • relatively cheap
  • excellent ping times

Cons to powerlines:
  • bandwidth speeds depend on the house wiring and are subject to power interference like big applicances
  • cannot be as...
You need to find out how to get a wired connection to your pc upstairs. If your can't just run a wire then powerlines and moca are your solutions.

Also, it almost sounds like your Internet could be even faster than 90Mbs. Usually, 90 is around the cutoff for fast ethernet so if you plan is faster you may be leaving some on the table right there.

Apr 8, 2020

What are powerlines and moca? sorry if this is a dumb question. And if i couldn't do that, do you have a wifi card suggestion?

Ah, you're going to love them!

Powerlines are these units that plug into the wall and you put a cable in on one end and on the other end you plug in something and it runs the ethernet over the noise in your house's power circuits. :love:

Pros to powerlines:
  • relatively cheap
  • excellent ping times

Cons to powerlines:
  • bandwidth speeds depend on the house wiring and are subject to power interference like big applicances
  • cannot be as fast as wired ethernet
  • while usually faster than wifi, cannot beat idea scenario wifi (line of sight, same room, etc.)

Moca units are like powerlines except they use the existing coax cables in the walls if you have some. The only caveats is that most coax cable in houses uses splitters which may need to be bypassed/replaced for moca to work properly.

Pros to moca:
  • relatively cheap
  • excellent ping times
  • speeds are full speed wired gigabit ethernet

Cons to moca:
- wiring needs to be right for it to work right

As far as a wifi solution, I would only use that in the 'last mile', ie get the signal upstairs via a wired solution and then use wifi to get it to your pc.

Solution