[SOLVED] Issue with Win10 install on Optane 16GB

michaeljoseph0101

Prominent
Dec 12, 2018
So I got a Lenovo Ideapad laptop for my son last year and everything was fine until recently we had to send it in for service. After it came back, my son started complaining that he couldn't install certain apps like firefox, chrome or some of his games. To make a long story short, I discovered that he had issues installing apps that automatically install to C drive because C drive, where windows resided, was only 12.30GB and lived on a 16gb Intel Optane "drive". For whatever reason, they installed windows on that tiny thing and made a partition on the hdd for storage. The problem is that for whatever reason there are a large number of programs that do not give you install parameters to install on a different drive than C. Not to mention I imagine Windows will eventually bloat with updates, etc.

Show we just try to reinstall windows on the hdd? I'm thinking thats the only option but wanted to get someone else's opinion. Why would a factory tech even set it up that way?

Solution
If at all possible, remove that Optane module and do a full wipe and reinstall on the HDD.

Whatever tech did that should never be allowed near anything more complex than a calculator.

Similar from the other day:

USAFRet

Titan
If at all possible, remove that Optane module and do a full wipe and reinstall on the HDD.

Whatever tech did that should never be allowed near anything more complex than a calculator.

Similar from the other day:

Solution