Question Issue with Windows XP on Dell Inspiron Mini 1018 netbook

Oct 13, 2021
Hello everyone!

I have a netbook, Dell Inspiron Mini 1018, where I would like to install and run Windows XP programs, specifically games.

I managed to install the OS using a boot USB (formatted using Rufus), and changing the hard disk configuration to ATA rather than AHCI. I installed the system, but it needed drivers. Thankfully, drivers are available even to this day on the Dell official website.

However, I have a problem. It turns out the CPU is likely optimized to run on Windows 7, not Windows XP. This can be noticed when trying to install the appropriate drivers. During the installation, the installer gives error messages about dx (presumably DirectX) and later, another error message that it failed to write to the kernel. In the end, even though the installer finishes and I restart the PC, the CPU's integrated graphics cannot set anything beyond 800x600 and everything runs in software mode.

Originally, Windows 7 was previously installed on the system, but it is pathetically slow, as the system barely meets its minimum requirements. That is why I would like to run Windows XP, and it would be nice to play some classic games on the go.
Is it possible to somehow install these integrated graphics on Windows XP? Has anybody had experience trying to install Windows XP on netbooks?

Specs for my netbook:

Model: Dell Inspiron Mini 1018
CPU: Intel Atom N455 1.66GHz
GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3150, Core: 200 MHz, DDR2, 8.14.10.2117
RAM: 1GB
Hard disk: Hitachi Travelstar 5K500.B HTS545025B9A300, 250 GB, 5400 rpm
Motherboard: Intel NM10
*I also tried this on Windows XP Service Pack 3 English, it still gets errors when installing CPU/GPU drivers.

I also made a post on the subreddit r/WindowsHelp, in case anyone would like to contribute there.

Thank you!

Oct 13, 2021
Did you install the tiger chipset driver first?

I did not on my initial installation, but I used System Restore to revert back drivers to the default settigs, i.e. at the restore point immediately after Win XP install. After that, I just installed the tiger chipset without installing the CPU driver. The installation is very quick, as it takes seconds before the wizard says that the installation is complete.

Oct 13, 2021
Sorry for the double post.

I figured to elaborate more on the error messages I received during the installation of Intel Atom N series CPU and graphics drivers.

At the beginning of the installation, the installer gives a warning about drivers potentially crippling the system.
Then, the installer gives a warning that the driver(s) did not pass the Windows Logo Test certification for compatibility. This message is repeated two times during the installation.

The first error message is the following: "Cannot start the application because dwmapi.dll has not been found. Reinstalling the application may solve the problem."

The second error message: "Procedure Entry Point QueryFullProcessImageNameA not found in dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll"

The third error message: " Cannot start the application because dxgi.dll has not been found. Reinstalling the application may solve the problem."

The forth one is the same as the first one. (dwmapi.dll)

The fifth one is the same as the second one. (QueryFullProcessImageNameA KERNEL32.dll)

Then the sixth and seventh error messages are the same as the "dxgi.dll not found" message.

And finally the setup finishes. Even though it says that it was installed properly, the graphics remain unchanged even after a restart. I also can't change the screen resolution to anything beyond 800x600.
NOTE: I installed the drivers after I had installed the tiger chipset drivers.

If you want, I can perhaps record the screen and upload the video, just to make things 100% clear.