Issue with World of Warcraft on Nvidia 6800GT

ryanschmitty

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a new computer after my 5 year old one started to crash.

I got the ASUS EAH 4870 for the new one, but it was DOA, so I stuck in my old XFX Nvidia 6800 GT while the RMA from newegg completes. However, I'm having issues running a simple game like World of Warcraft even with all the settings on low (frame rate is about 1-3 fps).

I'm wondering if the issue is DirectX 10, or a system setting. If anyone can shed some light for me that would be awesome!

System Specs:
Intel E8400 (Core 2 Duo @ 3.0GHz)
Asus P5Q SE PLUS mobo (@ 1333MHz FSB)
Dell Ultra Sharp Monitor (19" @ 1440x900 resolution)
XFX Nvidia 6800 GT graphics card
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card
550w Antec Earthwatts PSU

Software:
Windows Server 2008 (setup as a workstation)
Desktop Theme is Windows Vista Basic (turned Aero off)
All hardware drivers up to date

Basically, I'm wondering if there is a known problem with my graphics card and Windows Vista/Server 08? or if there's a setting somewhere in the system that can help with my dilemma.

Thanks in advance.

jkamb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Hi. I got a similar card to yours, the XFX Nvidia 7800GT and I too play lots of WOW. I have noticed a huge difference when using shadows and not. I normally have 60 min and 100+ max with shadows completely off but when i turn them on i loose around 30 fps. Everything else is on max (1680X1050). That is all in Win XP. When I had Vista installed i lost 20 fps on top of those. So I returned to Win XP and I am happy once again till I get a new card. So I suggest you reinstall XP on your PC (especially if its a gaming machine). If you must have server 08, then I suggest dual booting. XP for gaming and server 08 for your other needs. Good luck.