Current system
I9-9900K processor
MSI Z390 Godlike Motherboard
512 GB Samsung 970 Evo M2 NvMe
1TB Samsung 960 Evo SSD sata drive
6TB Western Digital sata hard drive
2 MSI RTX 2080Ti's (running in SLI)
64 GB of ram.

I currently have Windows booting off the 970 evo which is installed in the top M2 slot. The video cards are installed in PCIE slots 1 and 4 but cover 2 and 3 due to their size.

When I try to install an additional M2 in either the second or third M2 slot, Windows will no longer boot. As long as I am only using the single M2 installed in slot 1, there is no issue.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Solution
Gotcha. So would there be any reason you can think of why the second slot wouldn't work? If I put the drive in that slot, Windows will no longer boot.
Was the OS installed with more than one drive connected?
If so, the boot partition (System Reserved) likely resides on one of the other drives

Use of the M2_2 disables one or more SATA ports.
If that SATA drive is in one of the disabled port...no boot for you.

Move your drives that are connected to SATA ports to other SATA ports on the motherboard.

USAFRet

Titan
Gotcha. So would there be any reason you can think of why the second slot wouldn't work? If I put the drive in that slot, Windows will no longer boot.
Was the OS installed with more than one drive connected?
If so, the boot partition (System Reserved) likely resides on one of the other drives

Use of the M2_2 disables one or more SATA ports.
If that SATA drive is in one of the disabled port...no boot for you.

Move your drives that are connected to SATA ports to other SATA ports on the motherboard.

Solution