Issues After Fresh Install

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Hey guys,

So after many overdue years my father decided to have me build him a new PC after he got tired of using his old XP machine. ($2,000 custom built 12 years ago, he had an attachment).

Anyways, beings he's using his new machine I'm trying to do a fresh install of his old PC to sell/give away. One problem. It won't boot after the new install.

It installs perfectly fine, formats, etc. I enter the key, everything works fine. I go to reboot the machine or start it up from being off, and once it goes passed the Windows XP loading bar, the screen goes black. The monitor doesn't go into idle mode, so its still running, but the screen goes black and nothing responds unless I do a hard shutdown. Boot it up again, same issue.

I thought maybe it was a bad install for some reason so I tried again. Installed fine, until I rebooted. Same issue.

Not sure what the problem is. I have another XP machine I just did a fresh install on that's not nearly as good as this box but hasn't had an issue with the install.

And yes, I'm using a genuine XP disk and genuine keys.

Specs of issue computer:
Intel Pentium 4 @ 3GHz
1.5GB RAM - 120GB HDD
Nvidia Geforce 5700
Win XP Home

This one is pretty simple.
First I have to ask you though what type of hard drives and cd/dvd drives used in the system.

In respect to the drive interfaces.

Being 12 years old or more I would expect them to be IDE type data cables used, or depending on the motherboard Sata 1 ports.

Please confirm. Open up the case if you have too.
Check what type of drive interface or cable is used from the motherboard to the hard drives.
If of the IDE type gray flat cable also let me know if two devices are connected to the same cable.
One device to each of the 40 pin data blocks on the one gray flat cable.

Better still get the brand name of the motherboard and it`s model number if you can and post it here.
Detail how many working hard drives are in the system.

Then I can tell you how to fix the booting problem of windows xp os on the system so it boots right without freezing just after the windows xp loading screen.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

It has two DVD drives, both IDE. The Hard drive is a SATA. The motherboard is an Intel D865PERL.

Xmsteel

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Says Windows XP Home Edition Includes SP2, Version 2002. Its the original disk we got when we had the PC built. The only monitor I have other than my rigs newer 1080p IPS LED is an old CRT IBM G40, which I use for all my older PCs.