Question Issues after latest windows update with TP-Link Archer T6E.

Sep 4, 2019
After the latest windows update (forced on me by Xbox beta) my wifi speed has been cut in half from 400 to 200. I've tried everything such as changing the settings on my virgin media hub 3 (I've forced it to use only 802.11ac on the 5g network). One thing I did notice however was, when looking at network properties is that it shows up as 802.11n. I don't think it is my network as on my Samsung s9 I get 370mb/s so I think its to do with the Wifi adaptor in my pc. Any ideas on how I can force my pc to use 802.11ac or at least get my internet speed back?

You should never let windows update device drivers. There is a option they keep moving around that tells windows not to update any drivers or third party software..

Try to go to the website for your nic card and get the proper drivers and see if that makes a difference.

There is a difference between the encoding used on the connection and the actual throughput speeds you test on speedtest etc. The number you see on the nic indicates the encoding. This number more than anything else tells you if it is 802.11ac or 802.11n.....technically all 802.11n connections are 802.11ac because they included all the older encoding methods.

There is not much you can set on the nic most this is controlled from the router and the 2 devices will negotiate what they think is the fastest options.

Reactions: Cristiwan
Sep 4, 2019
You should never let windows update device drivers. There is a option they keep moving around that tells windows not to update any drivers or third party software..

Try to go to the website for your nic card and get the proper drivers and see if that makes a difference.

There is a difference between the encoding used on the connection and the actual throughput speeds you test on speedtest etc. The number you see on the nic indicates the encoding. This number more than anything else tells you if it is 802.11ac or 802.11n.....technically all 802.11n connections are 802.11ac because they included all the older encoding methods.

There is not much you can set on the nic most this is controlled from the router and the 2 devices will negotiate what they think is the fastest options.
thanks for the quick reply, I did a clean driver install of my wireless drivers yesterday and that didn't really make any difference. I think windows may have actually reset some settings on the update causing my wifi to slow down but I don't know what to look for, Any other advice?

Sep 4, 2019
Do you use the same or different SSID on the 2.4g and the 5g. Maybe it connected to 2.4g because the signal was stronger even though it has less bandwidth.
different, they were originally together by default with virgin media however I went into the hub 3 settings and split them into a single 2.4ghz network and a 5ghz network. I'm connected to the 5ghz network on both my phone and my pc and my phone gets twice the download speed my pc does.

TRENDING THREADS