Jul 16, 2019
I'm a video editor and lately I had to work with many raw 4k files.
When I started working on these projects I had export times up to 40 minutes. I decided to do an upgrade I always wanted and got an 8 core CPU.
That was last week and since then I've been having many issues when using Adobe Premier.

At first, every time I would start rendering the software would just close. Without even a crash or error message. I noticed there was a spike on my GPU when this was happening so I turned off GPU acceleration on export.
And it worked. Was happy at first since my render time were now down to 15 minutes. I managed to render with GPU acceleration but only when I haven't apply any color grading. But I kept having issues.

When I was playing back video from my timeline I noticed my desktop went black for a while and it would fix only when I move an icon/folder on the desktop. This happened around 5 times the past week but didn't cause any issues. It's just weird.
Another issue I had, was that both of my screens went black. The first time I though it was a normal black screen and rebooted my pc. The second time I took out a cable from my GPU and plugged it back in and both screens came back on. This has happened three times and the last two times was able to fix it by just re-pluging in the monitors.

Last issue I'm having is that when I play back video sometimes I will get an "error retrieving frame" and it will spam that for every frame until I stop playback. Then Premiere will crash.

Things I have tried so far:
Recover windows.
Update all drivers.
Re-install GPU drivers.
Re-install Premier.

Nothing so far has helped and it's getting very frustrating especially trying to work around deadlines. I should also mention that I'm not having performance issues with anything else. Games run amazing and also I have no issues working and rendering with heavy projects on After Effects and Cinema 4D.

I should also mention that I haven't had these issues with small projects on Premiere. Only with the the 4k ones. But I started working on them before my upgrade and had none of these issues. Only slower render times.
Any ideas what could be causing this? Or anyone have seen something like this before?

Sounds like a GPU issue but I haven't change that in my build. And I haven't seen any compatibility issues since everything else on my pc has no issues. Someone suggested maybe my new cpu takes up more watts from my psu so maybe my gpu ends up not having enough for when using Premiere and crashes. I have checked online everything in my pc and they should exceed 400W but I may be wrong.

If you can think of anything that can fix this or know what's causing it please let me know.
Thank you.

What's inside my pc:
GIGABYTE Geforce gtx 1060 6gb
AMD Ryzen 7 2700
2x8gb RAM Crucial DDR4-2133
x470 MSI Gaming Pro
111GB SSD, 447GB SSD, 1TB HDD
550W PSU

My old cpu was i5 6500 and old mobo was GIGABYTE GA-B150M-DS3H

Solution
The only thing I see amiss is you mentioning 'recovering Windows'. Given the upgrade you made it's best to fresh install Windows otherwise there might be issues cropping up.
Jul 16, 2019
The only thing I see amiss is you mentioning 'recovering Windows'. Given the upgrade you made it's best to fresh install Windows otherwise there might be issues cropping up.
I used the "Reset this PC" option in the Recovery tab in the windows settings. Would you sagest reinstalling them from usb/dvd?
I tried to avoid that so I would save time on backing up things. But could try if you believe there is a small chance that simple recovery may be causing the issue.
Thanks

A fresh install is generally suggested when changing the motherboard. Though you do mention software seems to run fine (which would suggest things are fine). Backing up files can be time consuming, but worthwhile at times. Personally I think a fresh install would at least eliminate the OS (and drivers, etc) as a source of the problem anyway.

Reactions: DMAN999
Jul 16, 2019
Eventually found the time over the weekend to back up everything and do a clean install of windows. Premiere is working perfectly now!
Thank you both for your answers.

Reactions: DMAN999