[SOLVED] Issues and concers regarding recent upgrades.

Apr 19, 2020
Hi I Recently bought and installed a Power Color 5700 XT Red Devil. I then launched Red Dead 2 to see what frames I was getting and saw I could easily OC the GPU with AMD's radeon software. Shortly after my PC shut off and powering it up again saw my processor completly destroyed it can just about browse the interent but that's about it. I made sure the OC on the GPU was off and ran 3D Mark to see how bad my CPU was and 2/3 times my PC would just shut off. I swapped out my 5700 XT for my old GTX 970 that I upgraded from and was able to get through 3D Mark without my PC shutting off.

My current PC specs are:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3
Processor: I5 4690k
GPU: GTX 970
Ram: 16GB of HyperX DDR3 (Not sure of exactly what it is I bought it a long time ago)
PSU: Corsair VS650w
SSD: SanDisk SSD PLUS 480 GB
HDD: 2 barracuda

I have just ordered a MSI B450 Thomahawk Max, Ryzen 5 3600X and Corsair Vengence Pro 16GB 3200MHz and a new power supply a Corsair RM750w

My main theory is that the current power supply wasnt good enough to power everything including the new 5700xt and it shutting down caused the processor to fry but im not completly sure and would be very thankful for any help. Thank you.

Solution
I wouldn't think the power supply was the issue, as 650w should be enough, but I guess it is generally supposed to just be a budget power supply. Your guess is a good as mine I think. Personally I've never seen a problem like this.
I guess it doesn't really matter at this point though now that you bought new stuff, though. Right?

Just as a thought if I were you i'd sell all that old stuff you upgraded from on eBay if you don't want/need it anymore. 970s can go for a bit. Selling the i5 as "for parts or not working" might interest some CPU experts looking to repair that thing. idk, just a thought.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
I wouldn't think the power supply was the issue, as 650w should be enough, but I guess it is generally supposed to just be a budget power supply. Your guess is a good as mine I think. Personally I've never seen a problem like this.
I guess it doesn't really matter at this point though now that you bought new stuff, though. Right?

Just as a thought if I were you i'd sell all that old stuff you upgraded from on eBay if you don't want/need it anymore. 970s can go for a bit. Selling the i5 as "for parts or not working" might interest some CPU experts looking to repair that thing. idk, just a thought.

Solution
Apr 19, 2020

Thank you for your advice it does seem to be the PSU as I've looked around and found a post where a guy had a simillar issue and that was because of the PSU but I guess I'll have to see when I put the new one in when its delivered. Thank you again.