Question Issues Booting Windows M.2 NVMe SSD

Jun 13, 2020
Hi,

I recently installed the Corsair Force Series MP510 NVMe Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD in my GL62 6QD laptop. The SSD went is fitted perfectly into the motherboard (MS-16J6 [U3E1]) and secured with the screw. However, the laptop was unable to recognise the SSD after the first few attempts at installing Windows. Then, when I updated the BIOS (E16J6IMS.10C) and removed my previous HDD, the SSD was able to install Windows. However, if I restart my laptop (e.g., after an update) Windows does not boot up and in the BIOS the m.2 SSD is not recognised (I.e., the slot states “empty” when checking storage information). I have now realised that in order for Windows to boot again, I have to turn off my laptop (not restart), turn it on, reload the BIOS to change the boot settings back to the SSD which is now being detected and it works. Whilst this helps me in the short term, I do not want to keep doing this every time my computer needs to restart or if it restarts automatically. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Primer

Lutfij

Titan
The specs state:
1x M.2 SSD Combo (NVMe PCIe Gen3 / SATA )
so no matter what you'll be running at PCIe Gen 3 speeds, but just for the sake of compatibility, I'm wondering why you didn't pick the Samsung 970 Evo Plus instead and be done with it.

You might also want to go into BIOS and make sure the primary boot device is your M.2 SSD, while the HDD is out of the laptop.

Jun 13, 2020
The specs state:
so no matter what you'll be running at PCIe Gen 3 speeds, but just for the sake of compatibility, I'm wondering why you didn't pick the Samsung 970 Evo Plus instead and be done with it.

You might also want to go into BIOS and make sure the primary boot device is your M.2 SSD, while the HDD is out of the laptop.
The specs state:

The specs state:

Thanks for the reply! To be honest, I didn’t do much research other than checking MSI forums so assumed the one I purchased would be fine. I mean, it must be compatible otherwise it wouldn’t run at all? All I wanted was quicker boot time lol! When I check the device in Windows it says it’s fine with 0 errors etc. I purchased the one I did as it was a bit cheaper, but looking back I should’ve just went for the Samsung. Nevertheless, I still think I’d be in the same position judging that other people have had similar problems with their MSI laptops. I thought I’d see if anyone knew what could be done on here - a friend suggested flashing the bios but I’m a bit weary given it could mess up whole laptop if you mess it up!

In terms of boot device, the SSD is set as the primary. However, when it doesn’t get detected after a restart, I have to change it back to the primary as the secondary hard drive becomes the primary when the SSD fails to be detected.

Thanks again for your response, much appreciated!

Jun 13, 2020
Dumb question...
When you changed the boot order in the bios, did you save the change before booting?

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I saved it after adjusting the bios. As I said, it works as normal unless I restart my laptop. So I can shutdown, close laptop screen (sleep), etc. And it works fine. However, if I click restart such as after installing a program or just in general restarting, the ssd won’t be detected and Windows won’t be booted. It’s a really bizarre issue