[SOLVED] Issues cooling i7 9700k

Jul 30, 2020
Hello all Ive been trying to figure out whats going on with my CPU but I cant seem to get it. Ive undervolted my cpu and reduced the clock to 3.0ghz when its default is 3.6. Ive messed around with LLC and all the other settings that could be causing high cpu temps. Now when im playing games that arent exceeding 100fps or I cap them the temps seem to be okay. But when im playing CSGO or valorant and my fps is going above 200 my temps seem to skyrocket into the 90+ range. I really cant figure out whats going on. I know that my CPU isnt using the internal graphics and its feeding off of the GPU but im still getting ridiculously high temps with an h100i water cooler that Ive re seated about 4 times now. Any help on why my cpu is overheating would be greatly appreciated. I really dont want to damage my cpu in the long term. Im also think about deliding the cpu and trying to see if that helps.

PC specs:
CPU: i7 9700k
CPU COOLER: H100i rbg platinum
RAM: 32gb ddr4 corsair
MOBO: msi mpg z390 gaming pro carbon AC
GPU: 2070 super 8gb
FAN SETUP: I have 3 exhaust fans two at the top and one at the rear with my AIO pulling in through the front, all fans are 120mm corsair fans.

Solution
You think the thermal paste im using might be causing issues I could try a different paste but is it possible its an IHS issue?

And I dont think the AIO is the issue because its all cold and it pushes cool air into the case and through the radiator and the pump head is also cool and its reading at 24 degrees on Icue so im not sure I could try a diff pump and different thermal paste and see whats going on but im at a point where im think its the IHS and im either gonna delid or completely scrap this cpu and it really bothers me

Don't rush to delid or completely scrap this cpu. I don't think anything wrong with CPU. Rather than try different water pump, try to put in air cooler. It is cheaper to test.

If you put in new...

Bob125484

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
  1. What is the temp when computer is in idle and what is its Vcore reading?
  2. Did you update to the latest the bios for the motherboard? Version 7B17v13 mention optimized CPU Vcore voltage under Offset Mode for 9th CPU. It does not hurt to update bios.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What are you using to read the temps. CSGO only uses 2-3 cores, so it's seriously doubtful even a 9700k is seeing 90+°C on the whole cpu, but could very well be seeing 90°C on 2 cores that are boosting to 5.2GHz. If you are reading hottest core, then that'd make sense.

Changing base speed will have no affect on boost speeds, you'll almost never see base speed used for anything more than maybe moving the mouse, anything more and the bios will automatically set boost speeds.

You also have an MSI motherboard. It's documented that some motherboards will in bios artificially boost power limits beyond Intel recommended settings, Msi and Gigabyte are guilty of that, it gives fake impression of better performance, especially if used with overblown cooling, right out of the box at default factory settings.

What I would advise is first, go find the Intel factory default recommended settings, especially for PL1, PL2, Tau as that's your boost levels and check core speed settings etc. Compare them to bios factory defaults. Adjust those as necessary

Jul 30, 2020
  1. What is the temp when computer is in idle and what is its Vcore reading?
  2. Did you update to the latest the bios for the motherboard? Version 7B17v13 mention optimized CPU Vcore voltage under Offset Mode for 9th CPU. It does not hurt to update bios.

The temp when idle and just on chrome is 42 degrees or less and without anything open goes down to around 35. My vcore is set to 1.0 and it stays there and doesn't fluctuate higher only goes slightly lower.

And I am also on the most recent Bios for my motherboard everything is up to date with all my drivers. Im starting to get worried and thinking it might be an IHS issue.

Jul 30, 2020
What are you using to read the temps. CSGO only uses 2-3 cores, so it's seriously doubtful even a 9700k is seeing 90+°C on the whole cpu, but could very well be seeing 90°C on 2 cores that are boosting to 5.2GHz. If you are reading hottest core, then that'd make sense.

Changing base speed will have no affect on boost speeds, you'll almost never see base speed used for anything more than maybe moving the mouse, anything more and the bios will automatically set boost speeds.

You also have an MSI motherboard. It's documented that some motherboards will in bios artificially boost power limits beyond Intel recommended settings, Msi and Gigabyte are guilty of that, it gives fake impression of better performance, especially if used with overblown cooling, right out of the box at default factory settings.

What I would advise is first, go find the Intel factory default recommended settings, especially for PL1, PL2, Tau as that's your boost levels and check core speed settings etc. Compare them to bios factory defaults. Adjust those as necessary

Im reading all cores saying its getting above 90 when gaming in most FPS. In games like world of warcraft they can usually hit 80 plus, but then when idle they are around 35-42 degrees. Ive undervolted everything and have my vcore at 1.0. everything is up to date and im under what intels recomended settings are for the cpu at default to try to reduce heat more.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ugh. Hwmonitor sucks. Use HWInfo (sensors only), it at least is known to be highly accurate. Hwmonitor can be glitchy.
Are you using iCue to monitor and set fan/pump speeds? Is the aio set up correctly and not regulated by bios settings?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's been seen to give false numbers, errors in reading certain motherboard sensors etc. Not unheard of for it to read cpus sitting at 125°C. And nobody can read the tmpin numbers now because they'll change with each motherboard. It originally was written to be cpu, VRM's, Northbridge, Southbridge (yes it's that old) but there's no telling now with different addressing, different chipsets, complete lack of a Southbridge as it was, Northbridge isn't even that anymore, it's a pcie hub.

It reads my pc 12v rail as 10v and I have 2 readings, one at 255°C and another at -125°C (yes, negative number), all of which are physically impossible. And that's on a 8 year old MSI Z77 motherboard. It was great for a long time, but once it started going downhill, it was done.

Reactions: Afro_ninja199
Jul 30, 2020
It's been seen to give false numbers, errors in reading certain motherboard sensors etc. Not unheard of for it to read cpus sitting at 125°C. And nobody can read the tmpin numbers now because they'll change with each motherboard. It originally was written to be cpu, VRM's, Northbridge, Southbridge (yes it's that old) but there's no telling now with different addressing, different chipsets, complete lack of a Southbridge as it was, Northbridge isn't even that anymore, it's a pcie hub.

It reads my pc 12v rail as 10v and I have 2 readings, one at 255°C and another at -125°C (yes, negative number), all of which are physically impossible. And that's on a 8 year old MSI Z77 motherboard. It was great for a long time, but once it started going downhill, it was done.
screenshot hwmonitor
View: https://imgur.com/Xe7LFzZ

sorry for it being blurry had to take it on phone but yeah normal voltage and everything but at 20% load its at 88 degrees in game and I was playing d3 at the time so idk whats going on

Bob125484

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
I download speccy and compare temp to CoreTemp, they are equal so that rules out software temp monitor issue. Your CPU VCore looks normal (this rule out CPU or motherboard issue) to me but CPU temp is very high even at 25% usage. You have reseat 4 times (unless you did not do it right but unlikely) but temp is still high each time, this points to me most likely source is H100i rbg platinum.

1. Did you install fans on H100i rbg platinum correctly that the fans is blowing hot air out of the case, not blowing hot air back in the case. I am just double check for possible cause.
  2. Open side panel to see if it help. If it does, may be it will point to a direction for trouble shooting.
  3. Is H100i rbg platinum working? I think you should be able to feel temp of hot air or on water line.
  4. Not what else to try beside may be buy a air cooling CPU (Cooler Master 212 Evo) to test it out. It cost about $35. If temp drops a lot, this just prove there is something wrong with H100i rbg platinum.

I don't know what else to suggest. Hopefully, someone has better idea than me.

Jul 30, 2020
Wait.. According to that, a core running at less than 10% (3 and 4) gets 85-86°C, yet a core running almost 80% gets 89°C? That's.... not right. That's a serious discrepancy. I could see if paste was an issue, creating hotspots

You think the thermal paste im using might be causing issues I could try a different paste but is it possible its an IHS issue?

I download speccy and compare temp to CoreTemp, they are equal so that rules out software temp monitor issue. Your CPU VCore looks normal (this rule out CPU or motherboard issue) to me but CPU temp is very high even at 25% usage. You have reseat 4 times (unless you did not do it right but unlikely) but temp is still high each time, this points to me most likely source is H100i rbg platinum.

1. Did you install fans on H100i rbg platinum correctly that the fans is blowing hot air out of the case, not blowing hot air back in the case. I am just double check for possible cause.
  2. Open side panel to see if it help. If it does, may be it will point to a direction for trouble shooting.
  3. Is H100i rbg platinum working? I think you should be able to feel temp of hot air or on water line.
  4. Not what else to try beside may be buy a air cooling CPU (Cooler Master 212 Evo) to test it out. It cost about $35. If temp drops a lot, this just prove there is something wrong with H100i rbg platinum.
I don't know what else to suggest. Hopefully, someone has better idea than me.

And I dont think the AIO is the issue because its all cold and it pushes cool air into the case and through the radiator and the pump head is also cool and its reading at 24 degrees on Icue so im not sure I could try a diff pump and different thermal paste and see whats going on but im at a point where im think its the IHS and im either gonna delid or completely scrap this cpu and it really bothers me

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's not right. If the cpu is hitting 80's+, the pump and hoses should be noticeably warm.

Are you sure you removed the plastic from the back of the pump? Is that mounted correctly and holding good pressure on the cpu? Does it move or vibrate? Even if the pump was bunk, it'd still heat up some under that kind of output. Sounds a lot like the copper coldplate is not making contact with the IHS, maybe just enough to squash the paste.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020
That's not right. If the cpu is hitting 80's+, the pump and hoses should be noticeably warm.

Are you sure you removed the plastic from the back of the pump? Is that mounted correctly and holding good pressure on the cpu? Does it move?

From what Ive checked everything is mounted properly and yeah I took all the plastic off and everything is installed correctly It could potentially be a messed up plate on the AIO but im not sure but its not really getting hot just the cpu

Bob125484

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015

Don't rush to delid or completely scrap this cpu. I don't think anything wrong with CPU. Rather than try different water pump, try to put in air cooler. It is cheaper to test.

If you put in new thermal paste, put in just a little and use a cut out of old credit card to spread out the thermal paste evenly across the CPU. You can see example on youtube. Make sure clean out old thermal paste first on both CPU and heatsink.

Solution

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019

didnt know that thanks, have downloaded hwinfo64, seems good so far lol