Question Issues cooling with i7 9700k h100i

Jul 30, 2020
So Ive been messing around with settings in bios and undervolting with intel XTU. Nothing seems to be working I dont know if I just got super unlucky with the silicon lottery or what but I thought I would post stuff here to see what you guys think.

PC specs:
CPU: i7 9700k
CPU COOLER: H100i rbg platinum
RAM: 32gb ddr4 corsair
MOBO: msi mpg z390 gaming pro carbon AC
GPU: 2070 super 8gb
FAN SETUP: I have 3 exhaust fans two at the top and one at the rear with my AIO pulling in through the front, all fans are 120mm corsair fans.

The issues im getting is that when playing simple games that are only using around 30-40% cpu usage MAX my temps have been going 80 degrees + my vcore is set to 1.000v max as Ive stated that ive undervolted stuff. I have even reduced cpu clock to 3.0ghz and im still getting those temps in game while playing most games which seems very odd. Ive increased fan curve on the AIO and all case fans and It hasnt done much. Ive been messing with a lot of bios settings as well and cant seem to find a fix any help would be appreciated. Ive seen a lot of i7 9700k with the same cooler running at 68 degrees while at 30-40% usage and even seen them overclocked and not being at the temps im at. Ive also re seated the AIO heatsink on the cpu multiple times making sure I dont use to much or too little thermal paste. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Are those temps perhaps momentary peaks, with cores settling on lower temps or, are all assorted cores at near 80C? And at what clock speeds? (80C would seem more of an 'MCE enabled' sort of temp, at all-core 4.6 GHz; as a point of reference, an NH-D15 mounted on top of a 9700K gave 69C temps under load in the above scenario on a build I did for a friend a few months back)

Is your H100i perhaps a couple years old from a previous build? (Many degrade after a few years, with contaminants clogging pumps' internal micro-cooling fins which result in high temps no matter how much airflow goes thru the radiator)

I would not expect 80C temps from a new pump on a 240mm AIO...

Jul 30, 2020
Are those temps perhaps momentary peaks, with cores settling on lower temps or, are all assorted cores at near 80C? And at what clock speeds? (80C would seem more of an 'MCE enabled' sort of temp, at all-core 4.6 GHz; as a point of reference, an NH-D15 mounted on top of a 9700K gave 69C temps under load in the above scenario on a build I did for a friend a few months back)

Is your H100i perhaps a couple years old from a previous build? (Many degrade after a few years, with contaminants clogging pumps' internal micro-cooling fins which result in high temps no matter how much airflow goes thru the radiator)

I would not expect 80C temps from a new pump on a 240mm AIO...

Everything in the build is brand new nothing from my previous build that was 6 years old, but yeah regardless Ive tweaked my settings to make sure that I have low temps but still seem to get constant temps that are 75+ while 30-40% load and thats being generous. Usually I see them surpass 80 Im half temped to buy an h150i or even go to nzxt for cooling because unless I just got super unlucky with my cpu the temps shouldnt be anywhere close to where they are with me undervolting and under clocking the cpu like I am.

Jul 30, 2020
Everything in the build is brand new nothing from my previous build that was 6 years old, but yeah regardless Ive tweaked my settings to make sure that I have low temps but still seem to get constant temps that are 75+ while 30-40% load and thats being generous. Usually I see them surpass 80 Im half temped to buy an h150i or even go to nzxt for cooling because unless I just got super unlucky with my cpu the temps shouldnt be anywhere close to where they are with me undervolting and under clocking the cpu like I am.
sorry and yes all cores are reaching 80+ and its not spikes they sit there for a while when gaming until the cpu purposely cuts power and reduces its heat