Question Issues enabling VRR on my AOC AG27QZD

amccormick318

Reputable
Nov 6, 2019
Recently picked up this monitor and it has been an absolute treat on my PC! Zero issues display wise or anything this beautiful upgrade, but I recently moved my PS5 over to it for Eldin Ring and was curious how the PS5 looks with all the bells and whistles turned on.

I have the resolution set manually to 1440p and ran the needed 1440p 60/120 Hz check, turned 120 Hz support to automatic and tried using the PS5 HDMI cord as well as the included HDMI cord that came with my new monitor. No dice unfortunately, I know my older monitor only supports VRR through displayport, but I can't seem to find any info relating if that's an issue with this monitor. If so I'll buy a HDMI/DP converter but don't want to waste money if there's no need. Any advice would be appreciated!

That monitor should support VRR over either one and even though the HDMI ports are 2.0 that should be enough for 1440p/120hz + HDR. In the display menu under Game Setting there should be an option to turn on/off G-Sync and make sure that's turned on. One thing I will note is that all of the documentation refers to G-Sync though it doesn't have a G-Sync module so it might be possible that it doesn't work right for adaptive sync (I don't think this is likely).

Not having a PS5 I'm not sure how the options appear (or don't if it doesn't think it's supported), but I believe there's a specific setting for VRR.

amccormick318

Reputable
Nov 6, 2019
That monitor should support VRR over either one and even though the HDMI ports are 2.0 that should be enough for 1440p/120hz + HDR. In the display menu under Game Setting there should be an option to turn on/off G-Sync and make sure that's turned on. One thing I will note is that all of the documentation refers to G-Sync though it doesn't have a G-Sync module so it might be possible that it doesn't work right for adaptive sync (I don't think this is likely).

Not having a PS5 I'm not sure how the options appear (or don't if it doesn't think it's supported), but I believe there's a specific setting for VRR.
Thanks for the reply!!

Upon looking under the menu, there's a Freesync option to enable/disable under Extras, but its already set to on. Tried trigging it off then back on, no dice. I don't believe this model has a g-sync unit, rather it's just G-sync compatible

Edit: thumbed over post. On the PS5 there is an option for toggling VRR, but it simply gives me the message "Your TV is not VRR compatible" however when I looked into it, that particular message isn't always necessarily right and there can be underlying issues as to why it's not triggering on.

Upon looking under the menu, there's a Freesync option to enable/disable under Extras, but its already set to on. Tried trigging it off then back on, no dice. I don't believe this model has a g-sync unit, rather it's just G-sync compatible
Yeah reading through the manual it made no sense to me the G-Sync terminology used as it definitely doesn't have a G-Sync module. Not surprising that they changed it at some point after creating the manual as it makes a lot more sense to say Freesync/Adaptive Sync since that's what it is.
Edit: thumbed over post. On the PS5 there is an option for toggling VRR, but it simply gives me the message "Your TV is not VRR compatible" however when I looked into it, that particular message isn't always necessarily right and there can be underlying issues as to why it's not triggering on.
Wow I did some reading and it does sound like Sony's VRR support is just really bad (especially for 1440p/HDMI 2.0). That's really unfortunate as the display you've got should be really good for exactly that application.