Issues getting new system to post

thegrahamhammer

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
Hello,
I recently (yesterday) bought the components for a new computer. I've built many computers, but I've never had problems getting them to post until now.

The build:

Intel Core i7-5820K
MSI X99S SLI Plus Motherboard
GIGABYTE Winforce Geforce GTX 970
G.SKILL Value 16 GB (4x4) DDR4 Memory
NZXT Kraken x61 CPU Cooler
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850 W Power Supply

I have SSDs and HDDs but they're not hooked up yet.

So I've tried everything in the sticky checklist here.

I've got CPU power plugged in, I've tried it with 4, 2, and 1 stick of RAM, I've tried the GPU in different PCI slots, I consulted the manual when installing all the parts and plugging everything in, my NZXT H440 came with the motherboard pegs pre-installed so I just used those to mount the mobo. I've reset the CMOS a few times.

When I power the system on (either through the case or the power button directly on the Mobo), pretty much all the lights turn on. The fans turn on. The fans on the GPU turn on. I swear everything looks like it's functioning properly. However, whether I have an HDMI or a DVI hooked up to my GPU (there's no on-board video) I can't get anything to display on my monitor.

A few things I noticed -

The first time I turned it on, it ran for a few seconds and then shut off all of a sudden and turned right back on
The LED on my Kraken x61 will sometimes start flipping from the LED system on color to the LED system off color and then ultimately rest on the system off color (maybe it's not getting enough power?) It also only ever has 1 fan running even though I have two plugged in. I worried it may have been an issue with me tightening it down too hard on the CPU.
I have a Razer Blackwidow keyboard that has green backlit keys. When I plug the keyboard into my usb on the mobo, the lights will never come on (which seems to me to point to another power issue)

Thanks in advance!

thegrahamhammer

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
Ok, so I have an update (sorry it took so long). I got my pc back from a computer shop and they said they tested the everything and all the parts work in other systems so it's probably the motherboard. I got a new motherboard (same brand), still won't boot. I decided to look at the reviews of this motherboard on newegg and found that it has a lot of issues where certain memory slots will be defective. This is the MSI x99s SLI Plus by the way.

So I went through doing some memory testing. I hooked up an internal speaker with only the CPU and CPU cooler. 3 long beeps as expected. Then I plugged in two memory sticks into the suggested dual channel slots, and got NO BEEPS. In the guide it says that this is rare. I then noticed that about 30 seconds after it's turned on, the whole system will shut down and start back up again.

Referencing the guide, I'm assuming that a problem with the memory is shorting my PSU? What's my next step here? Is this motherboard ALSO defective? If so, last time I buy from MSI.

thegrahamhammer

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
I appreciate the fast response, but I don't think that's the issue. I can turn the system on with 4 sticks of memory, get no beeps, and the computer stays powered on just fine. The only time it ever beeps is if there's no memory at all. They could have been 3 short beeps which would be memory error, I don't know what constitutes "long." Plus, if it gives a no keyboard error wouldn't it give a successful post code first?

I just think the beep code I got was indicative of no memory like it says in the post diagnosis guide "Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems." This is when I got the three beeps.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by "no beeps - no power, loose card." What card?

thegrahamhammer

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
Yeah so I just tried it again and after it shuts down, it powers back on and it gave me the long beep and 2 short beeps. So I plugged in my video card and got it to post! Tried it with 3 ram sticks and it did the same, so it looks like slot 7 is defective and I'll have to return it... ugh