[SOLVED] Issues installing i3 6100 on a Gygabyte H310m S2H?

Watrevir

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2013
I'm building a PC for a family member and I managed to get an i3 6100 + fan + thermal paste for £50 which I thought was a pretty good deal. I've only ever made AMD systems before so I'm used to a good level of compatibility regarding sockets etc , so I just went with the best value LGA1151 board I could find, the H310M SH2, and assumed the fact that the website stated it's only compatible with 8th gen and up was just Intel marketing to get people to upgrade.

I bought a case with an included PSU to keep costs down, but it only had a 4 pin connector for the CPU power.

When I start up the PC, the CPU and system fans start up, stop, start up, stop ad infinitum - the monitor doesn't detect any signal and there's no lights on USB peripherals.

Is this due to CPU incompatibility or the lack of an 8 pin connector? Do I need to buy a PSU or get an 8th gen CPU? I've ordered a 4->8 pin converter so will see if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I just went with the best value LGA1151 board I could find, the H310M SH2, and assumed the fact that the website stated it's only compatible with 8th gen and up was just Intel marketing to get people to upgrade.
You assumed wrong. You're going to be able to work with that processor only and only if you get an H110 or a B250 chipset board. You might also want to inspect the CPU socket for any damaged or bent pins since you neglected the compatibility list on the motherboard page. If there are any bent or broken pins, you can't return the motherboard even if it's under warranty or return period.

Lutfij

Titan
I just went with the best value LGA1151 board I could find, the H310M SH2, and assumed the fact that the website stated it's only compatible with 8th gen and up was just Intel marketing to get people to upgrade.
You assumed wrong. You're going to be able to work with that processor only and only if you get an H110 or a B250 chipset board. You might also want to inspect the CPU socket for any damaged or bent pins since you neglected the compatibility list on the motherboard page. If there are any bent or broken pins, you can't return the motherboard even if it's under warranty or return period.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS