[SOLVED] Issues installing nvme

Oct 17, 2020
I have a 860 EVO on my SATA slot which I've had as my main drive, recently bought an NvME WD SN750 and installed it in the lowest slot.

In my BIOS it only gives me the one option to boot from, the original 860, and when I boot on that it brings me to Windows Boot Manager where I can pick which drive to boot on.

I did a clean install on the nvme with a USB boot drive, now when I boot into that drive it has no drivers and I can't install my ethernet drivers or any drivers and can't connect to anything even though my ethernet is hooked up.

I tried disconnecting the 860 EVO and when I boot it won't recognize any drive at all.

I can still boot into the old drive, which it lists at volume 3, but as mentioned when I boot into the new drive, volume 6, I can't do anything. I tried transferring the drivers over to the new drive and installing them manually but it won't recognize anything.

I thought about cloning my drive over to the nvme but it only seems to be recognizing it when the 860 is connected.

MOBO: Aorus Elite AC
CPU: i7-10700K

Solution
I downloaded and unpacked all the drivers right onto the drive, when I boot into my old SDD I can still see it so I can plug things into the "my documents" folder
It doesn't do anything. I downloaded every last driver and windows still won't recognize. It's weird as hell
Downloading drivers is not enough.
You have to unzip them and then install. Isn't that obvious?

Install chipset drivers first. This is important.
Only then install rest of the drivers.

What does that mean "I downloaded every last driver and windows still won't recognize"?
Do you get some kind of error or something?

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Just put the SN750 in slot one and install windows done and done :)

You can clone it over if you wish, did you read your MB manual about which slots are active and the order they should be installed in?

You can also use a USB dock for the m2 drive to clone etc.

Oct 17, 2020
I cleaned the drive and did a fresh install of windows, this time with my original SSD unplugged. Same issue, it'll load into windows but I'm unable to load any drivers.

I've tried it in every nvme slot on the mobo, when I did the one next to the PCIe it made the GPU not work. There's also another near the CPU but apparently that slot is reserved for a 4.0 drive once they have the firmware to support it? I'm probably wrong on that but long story short I can only get it to show up when it's in the one slot, and even when it boots I'm unable to do anything with it or connect to the internet.

Same issue, it'll load into windows but I'm unable to load any drivers.
Boot from old drive;
Download drivers and save them to USB flash drive;
Boot from new drive;
install drivers from USB flash drive.

Drivers can be downloaded from motherboard support site.
Drivers necessary:
chipset drivers - install those first;​
lan drivers;​
audio drivers;​
wlan drivers.​
BTW - Aorus Elite AC is not a full motherboard model name. You'll need full model name to find appropriate drivers.

Oct 17, 2020
It's a Z490

I downloaded and unpacked all the drivers right onto the drive, when I boot into my old SDD I can still see it so I can plug things into the "my documents" folder

It doesn't do anything. I downloaded every last driver and windows still won't recognize. It's weird as hell

It looks like I can still use it as a storage drive but I don't really have a lot of need for storage, I wanted to run it as my OS drive.

Maybe now that I have the BIOS recognizing it I can do a clone and use my old hard drive as a storage backup

Honestly though it's weird, the RJ45 is plugged in as well as the wifi antenna, it won't recognize either. Usually with a clean boot it at least grabs some drivers but in this case it won't recognize anything. I thought this was because of the old drive but this was the case even when the old drive was removed and a clean install was done

What does that mean "I downloaded every last driver and windows still won't recognize"?

Solution
Oct 17, 2020

Unzipped everything into its own folder and tried double clicking the files themselves but that gave no result. Then I tried entering device manager and clicking 'update driver' on each device and selecting the folder where they were unzipped and it said there were no drivers found in this directory.

Usually on a fresh install it's able to recognize basic hardware and at least establish some default drivers but in this case it doesn't recognize anything and even thought my ethernet is plugged in (and works fine when I boot up on the old drive) I can't seem to do anything.