Issues installing Windows 10 as a Dual Boot OS alongside Windows 7

Jax765

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Reposting this because the previous thread is now several days old with no answers, and it seems that you can't bump threads on this forum.

I'm trying to install Windows 10 as a dual-boot OS alongside my current Win 7 installation. I use the media creation tool to create bootable media on my flash drive. However, after entering the product key and completing the install, it prompts a restart. When that happens, I get a blue screen of death. Not my own picture, but I get the same screen:
37dHQ.jpg

^http://i.stack.imgur.com/37dHQ.jpg

I also tried with 8.1 (that's my original extra OS, before upgrading it to 10), but same result. In fact, with 8.1, it prompted me to remove my F: drive, which is an internal SSD. Unless it detected it differently due to being a new OS? Nevertheless, still ended up with the blue screen.

Is this a common occurrence? If so, what would be the likely cause?

I never had this issue before I upgraded 8.1 to 10. I had a perfectly fine dual-boot setup. After upgrading, the Win 10 installation got screwed up at some point for whatever reason, with the boot manager no longer appearing to let me select the OS, forcing me to use msconfig to switch operating systems to Win 10, upon which I was greeted with the BSOD. So then I had to format the SSD on which it was installed.

Solution
Follow up with this tutorial and see if the issue is a averted and your Dual Booting System successful. To be on the safe side, please state your full systems specs and make sure your BIOS and prior device driver installations were up to date and not conflicting with each other. Usually Norton(or any antivirus) was found to be the case for not allowing a dual boot or even a proper boot up in fact.

*I've deleted your duplicate and am responding to this thread to bring it up the tally. Please keep your questions on one thread for relevance's sake and please be patient. We are all here on a voluntary basis and will provide an answer as soon as someone in the area with expertise is around. I've also edited your post to...

Lutfij

Titan
Follow up with this tutorial and see if the issue is a averted and your Dual Booting System successful. To be on the safe side, please state your full systems specs and make sure your BIOS and prior device driver installations were up to date and not conflicting with each other. Usually Norton(or any antivirus) was found to be the case for not allowing a dual boot or even a proper boot up in fact.

*I've deleted your duplicate and am responding to this thread to bring it up the tally. Please keep your questions on one thread for relevance's sake and please be patient. We are all here on a voluntary basis and will provide an answer as soon as someone in the area with expertise is around. I've also edited your post to include the image by wrapping it in image tags for others to read your post easily. Hope you don't mind.
Lutfij

Solution

Jax765

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
My specs are:

Windows 7
GTX 970
i7 4770K 3.5ghz (with turbo boost enabled)
16GB RAM
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H with latest BIOS

EDIT: I'm having issues installing it via USB. After formatting my secondary SSD, I get an error message when selecting it to install the OS on - http://i.picpar.com/f4Ib.png

This occurs with my HDD too, and AHCI is enabled in the BIOS.

TRENDING THREADS