[SOLVED] Issues since cat sat on GPU. Bought all new parts except case and PSU. Should I buy new PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmike

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I've been having issues ever since my cat sat on my GPU while it was installed inside the case. Monitors not getting signal for 20+ reboots. RAM going bad (according to BIOS beeps) after windows updates.

I've purchased all new parts except for PSU and case. Should I play it safe and get a new PSU as well?

Edit: Sorry. I guess I left some stuff out for the sake of not wanting to make a text wall. I had the case open to clean the inside which I do every year. I went to wash my hands and when I returned I found my cat sitting on the GPU. The GPU worked sporadically after that meaning it would work after restarting the computer several times. The iGPU works but every time there's a windows update, the RAM goes bad according to BIOS. I'm not going to buy new RAM every time there's a windows update. I tried reseating the GPU. Not sure why this was moved to GPU forum. It's my entire system that's experiencing problems and all I want to know is if I should get a new PSU for my new system. I don't need help troubleshooting the old system. My current PSU is a Corsair CX550.

Last edited:
Solution
Cats = hairballs. Hairballs = static electricity. Ask any cat how often they get zapped by you after walking across the carpet and rubbing up against your leg. Touch their ears, you'll find out in a hurry.

And yet you say you've purchased all new parts except psu and case. So the cat, where he sat, any static discharge or anything related to the episode is void, like it never happened. Case won't hold the charge, new mobo, cpu, gpu, ram, storage not affected by what happened in the past. That leaves psu. Only thing the cat could damage there is any modular plugs, since the cpu case is grounded.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Pay close attention to the beep codes. Usually a pattern of long and short beeps. Ensure that pattern matches the manufacturer's troubleshooting information.

As mentioned, inspect, reseat GPU. Likewise for RAM and all other connectors and jumpers.

Try booting into safe mode.

If supported, try iGPU.

Try another known working video cable.

Try another known working monitor.

= = = =

Long hair cat? Wondering if the cat had a charge built up and zapped something? Was (as asked) the case open?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cats = hairballs. Hairballs = static electricity. Ask any cat how often they get zapped by you after walking across the carpet and rubbing up against your leg. Touch their ears, you'll find out in a hurry.

And yet you say you've purchased all new parts except psu and case. So the cat, where he sat, any static discharge or anything related to the episode is void, like it never happened. Case won't hold the charge, new mobo, cpu, gpu, ram, storage not affected by what happened in the past. That leaves psu. Only thing the cat could damage there is any modular plugs, since the cpu case is grounded.

Last edited:
Solution

InvalidError

Titan
You don't get zapped unless you rub two different materials susceptible to triboelectric effect together. For most people, that is shoes/slippers on carpet. If you have real wood floors, you eliminate 90+% of household ESD. The only times I remember getting zapped at home in the last ~20 years is after my feet have slipped on my computer chair mat.

The cat would likely have hugged the computer frame before jumping on top of the GPU, which should have grounded it. If the GPU has a backplate, there is a ~99.9% probability the cat would get grounded through that since paw pads would almost certainly make contact with the plate before any exposed components. The most exposed areas are the VRM in/out rails and MLCCs which are very low impedance and relatively high capacitance, so ESD going directly to Vcore or Vmem has practically zero chance of damaging anything.

I'd be more worried about cat 'byproducts' damage.

Reactions: Karadjgne

knightmike

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Pay close attention to the beep codes. Usually a pattern of long and short beeps. Ensure that pattern matches the manufacturer's troubleshooting information.

As mentioned, inspect, reseat GPU. Likewise for RAM and all other connectors and jumpers.

Try booting into safe mode.

If supported, try iGPU.

Try another known working video cable.

Try another known working monitor.

= = = =

Long hair cat? Wondering if the cat had a charge built up and zapped something? Was (as asked) the case open?
I didn't ask for help troubleshooting an old system. I asked if I should buy a new PSU for a new system. My question is about PSU. Not sure why this thread was moved to GPU forum.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You don't get zapped unless you rub two different materials susceptible to triboelectric effect together. For most people, that is shoes/slippers on carpet. If you have real wood floors, you eliminate 90+% of household ESD. The only times I remember getting zapped at home in the last ~20 years is after my feet have slipped on my computer chair mat.

The cat would likely have hugged the computer frame before jumping on top of the GPU, which should have grounded it. If the GPU has a backplate, there is a ~99.9% probability the cat would get grounded through that since paw pads would almost certainly make contact with the plate before any exposed components. The most exposed areas are the VRM in/out rails and MLCCs which are very low impedance and relatively high capacitance, so ESD going directly to Vcore or Vmem has practically zero chance of damaging anything.

I'd be more worried about cat 'byproducts' damage.
None of which applies, as OP has 'purchased all new components' except case and psu. What may or may not have happened prior, to the old components is no longer an issue. OP is getting 20+ reboots on all new stuff. Cat in the pc is a moot point. Cat could not have affected the case unless it sat on the front i/o cables, stretched them and breaking the board connections, possibly causing a short or damaged the modular connections on the psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts