[SOLVED] Issues starting in safe mode

Feb 1, 2020
Let me first apologise for unleashing this issue on those that love to solve problems, it's annoyed me to near the point of using my PC for target practice. (Both this issue and the base real issue. )

This is a problem within a problem:

Currently, I'm dealing with the issue of trying to start my PC (Windows 10) in safe mode in order to uninstall my external graphics softwae which is causing a blue screen of death due to its conflict with Windows 10 updates, boot up blue screen of death says "arikmdag.sys" error.
But to do this, I must enter safe mode, the problem is that when I enter my password it tells me the password is incorrect.
I have exausted all basic troubleshooting solutions (that I know of) Checked to see is cap locks is on (it isn't), tried another keyboard, tried on screen keyboard, tried repeated attempts (this worked for about 20% of people according to other forums. ) , Tried restarting, tried turning off and unplugging.

The only things that I have not tried, one because I am unable to and the other because I'd rather not have to wait and spend one hundred dollars.

1. The one I'd like to try and hoping someone can help me with, is that I haven't tried to reset my password. I can do so on the phone I'm using right now, however, there are 2 problems with this.

1a. It appears that the Microsoft password for my account is of course going to be different than the pin I use for my start screen log in (I have tried my start screen log in and Microsoft login password but am willing to change the Microsoft password to see if entering that at the start screen will work.)

2a. The second problem and true question of this particular thread, is that I cannot figure out how to connect to the internet without entering into windows first.
This is due to the fact that I live in the middle of BFN (bum #$&@ nowhere. ) Or "the country".

I usually either use USB tether from my smart phone to connect my gaming PC to the internet or recently before the true underlying issues occured, a BluTooth dongle I have hooked up allowing me to use Blu tooth tethering to connect to the internet.
The Blu tooth dongle uses software within windows and the USB tethering uses windows options to connect to the internet.

Can anyone please tell me if there is a way to use either of these methods to connect my PC to the internet without being in windows so that I can try changing my password?

The only sure fix option I can think of is spending $100 on buying windows 10 and reinstalling windows.
It would be $100 at the local bestbuy, I've seen windows 10 for much less thru eBay and such, but if have to wait for that to arrive.

This PC was given to me by a friend and he had lost the windows 10 disc so I don't have it or the key available.

I'm sorry for such a long thread, I'm not good at short hand explanations.
Thank you to anyone who can help or tries to help.

Solution
When the PC was given you did it have a password? If so where you able to change the password to your MS account. Also, your Windows pin by definition is supposed to be different from your MS password.

BTW, you may not need to go to safe mode with uninstall the graphics drivers. On the same menu as safe mode is a choice to boot with low resolution. This boot your PC without loading the offending video drivers.
When the PC was given you did it have a password? If so where you able to change the password to your MS account. Also, your Windows pin by definition is supposed to be different from your MS password.

BTW, you may not need to go to safe mode with uninstall the graphics drivers. On the same menu as safe mode is a choice to boot with low resolution. This boot your PC without loading the offending video drivers.

Solution
Feb 1, 2020

Negative, I wasn't given a password, I believe he gave me his pin to get in and change what I could, but.... Oh, yea, the base windows on the PC is probably still linked to his Microsoft account.. if so then changing my password wouldn't work.
Though when asking for the password it does have my name.

Starting with low graphics is a great idea! I dunno why I didn't think to try that, thank you!
I'll give it a try as soon as I get back to the house and see if I can get in to continue trying to correct my error.

I tried to install software which would allow me to use a USB to HDMI converter, it is a few years old and I suppose windows 10 didn't like that, so I've just got to figure out the correct reinstall for my graphics card and windows 10 once I get into windows.
And I need to make sure that converters software is uninstalled completely also.
I'll never try to get fancy again, lol.
This all started because I wanted to use a second monitor, I'll be so happy to have just 1 monitor back (currently using the 2nd monitor with onboard motherboard graphics since that's all I can use right now. )

I'll let ya know what happens, thanks again!

Feb 1, 2020

Update, I fixed it!
I tried to do the low graphics option but my PC started freezing on startup which gave me the idea to try and modify the order for my chipset in advanced in the BIOS.
So far, it seems to have magically fixed it, I'm just going to not question it and let it stay like this.
It only needs to last me until I can afford to buy a new super gaming PC.
Thanks for your help!

Feb 1, 2020
Great, I don't understand what you changed in the BIOS, but I'm glad you figured it out.
I barely understand myself but if anyone has some similar issue then I'll go look it up and post it here, I'm not sure how to explain it because it was just sheer dumb luck I think.
I'm about to start it up again, I'll go in there and take a picture and post it and explain what I did before and now.

Well nevermind on the picture.
It doesn't seem to want to do that without a URL.

So basically in the chip set under advanced tab, there is the "890GX chipset configuration" which I selected.

There are 4 settings options.
GFXO-GPP-IGFX-PCI
GPP-GFXO-IGFX-PCI
PCI-GFXO-GPP-IGFX
IGFX-GFXO-GPP-PCI

The original setting was:
PCI-GFXO-GPP-IGFX

Which I assume means PCI, the slot my external graphics card is in, would be primary, and IGFX which I assume is internal graphics would not be used unless all others failed?

So I changed it to IGFX-GFXO-GPP-PCI
Which worked for the second monitor and main, kinda but causes some issues, the adapter software caused even more issues which made the computer blue screen.

Today, or last night rather, I changed the options to
GFXO-GPP-IGFX-PCI
And somehow it seems that all is now we'll and device manager says the graphics card is working fine, even though it's last on this list.. if you understand this all feel free to explain it to me lol. I just got lucky I guess.