[SOLVED] Issues that point to grounding issue but grounding was fixed in my home.

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
Basically i have two very annoying issues that scream ground problem but last year my whole house was worked on to fix the grounding.

I have a very random loud pop noise coming from my right pc speaker.... its connected via a usb audio interface... It's not constant but will happen randomly and sometimes quite loud tot he point i worry for my speakers cone.

My Pc monitors also temporarily shut off and resume when i turn my Standing fan off.... they are fine when its running its only when shutting it on and off that my monitor s will go black for a split second.

any way to get round this ? i've already as mentioned got the ground sorted in the house... i have everything plugged into surge protector plug adapters... i even bought a ground loop isolator that goes between the interface output and the speakers.... very strange its the right speaker only.

Thanks

Solution
I actually have the same issue in the house that I've recently moved into. The answer is, no the grounding hasn't been worked on properly or at the very least the electrician needs to come around again and take note of what's happening. Often times when you have too much power draw from the walls and lack thereof with a feeble gauge wire for grounding, can and will lead the issue you're speaking of.

Ralston18

Titan
Are you able to swap the speakers about? Swap in another known working (not popping) speaker?

Determine if pop follows the right speaker or stays with the speaker "connection".

Do you hear the pops via headphones? Do be careful there - those pops could hurt.

=========

Proper house grounding should not create ground loops. How the devices in the house are connected determines the "loop".

The pop could be some sort of electrostatic charge that builds up somewhere and finally "jumps" some resistance and manifests as the right speaker pop.

I may be misunderstanding or missing something but I am not sure about that USB audio interface. Is that some USB device that substitutes as a sound card? Make/model? The speakers etc. are plugged into the USB interface versus the PC or a hosted sound card.

Also -this: "Standing fan off" - do you mean some floor stand based fan for air flows/cooling? You might have an overloaded circuit.

Or two problems.....

Sketch out a diagram showing all of your devices including the right speaker. Also draw in all wall outlet power connections, connection cables (video, audio) surge protectors, etc.. between devices.

The diagram just needs to be simple and show all components and connections. Post accordingly.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Provide whatever additional information you can.

There is also the option of moving your post to Audio. There are some audiophile folks there who may quickly spot the problem.

Reactions: Lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
I actually have the same issue in the house that I've recently moved into. The answer is, no the grounding hasn't been worked on properly or at the very least the electrician needs to come around again and take note of what's happening. Often times when you have too much power draw from the walls and lack thereof with a feeble gauge wire for grounding, can and will lead the issue you're speaking of.

Solution

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015

Thanks yes it would appear the issue is only showing in one room which happens to be the room im in as my family also have computer etc in their room with no issues, would be a kick in the nads if this was still a ground issue as they tore up our whole house and required redecorating every room but i will say the one thing thats throwing me is that it had only became noticeable once i switched from using igpu of my ryzen 2200g to using a dgpu rx580 but then this could just be a coincidence or maybe a bigger power draw but still related to grounding...