Question Issues trying to clock my memory at 3200 MHz

JamesMc19

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016
Hey, i'm fairly new to overclocking memory and have spent a little time looking into XMP to get the most out of the memory. I have 3200 MHz RAM, which when i set my XMP profile on, i get either reboots or blue screen. However, when i manually set the clock to 3000 MHz i get no issues at all.

I guess my main question here is what must be done in order for the memory to run stable at 3200? Is it as simple as increasing the voltage or updating the bios?

My spec is as follows:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
MoBo: GA-AB350M Gaming 3 (BIOS version F31)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
GPU: ASUS GEFORCE GTX 1070 Ti
PSU: Corsair VS650

Any help would be amazing,
Thanks.

Update to the latest BIOS for your motherboard.

Sometimes memory just doesn't want to perform as expected. You can try to enter the specs manually, speed, timings, and voltage. You can also try increasing timings a little from what is expected. If not, then replace the memory. Maybe with an RMA from the manufacturer.

JamesMc19

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016
Update to the latest BIOS for your motherboard.

Sometimes memory just doesn't want to perform as expected. You can try to enter the specs manually, speed, timings, and voltage. You can also try increasing timings a little from what is expected. If not, then replace the memory. Maybe with an RMA from the manufacturer.

Yeah, my next step was to make sure im on the latest update. My only issue im facing is with a tool i need to run before updating the bios past the point im at (f31 on my gigabyte mobo). Im not sure if you're familiar with these boards but apparently i must run the EC FW update Tool before updating to f40 to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPUs. I had no issue with this until some users that ran it faced issues with their board dropping back to a much earlier update and relying on their bios backup to save themselves.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with gigabyte boards at all but should this cause me any real issues?

Thanks again.