[SOLVED] issues using 4k tv as monitor with pc

intzor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Hi everyone.

I just purchased the TCL series 4 4k 120hz TV.

I would like to use this as a computer monitor as well as a TV if possible, but I am experiencing some issues and I am trying to pinpoint the cause and solution.

My graphics card is an AMD Radeon R9 380. I understand that this graphics card only supports HDMI 1.4, so I am only getting 29/30 hz, although the TV should support 60hz.

The issues I am experiencing:

- lag when moving cursor on screen

- screen tearing/lag/stuttering when playing videos.

I seem to have been able to fix the cursor issue by putting the tv into "game mode," although according to the info provided it seems this setting degrades the quality of the picture on my screen?

the screen tearing/lag/stutter with videos I have not been able to fix, and I am wondering if this is a direct result of my GPU not supporting HDMI 2?

Is there some kind of modification I can make to my system using software to make video playback smooth, or will this problem require new hardware to fix?

Thanks for your help!

Solution
My graphics card is an AMD Radeon R9 380. I understand that this graphics card only supports HDMI 1.4, so I am only getting 29/30 hz, although the TV should support 60hz.
Read manual of your TV to find out supported resolutions/refresh rates.
120Hz Clear Motion Index doesn't mean 120Hz refresh rate.

To get 4k@60Hz you'd have to
use Display Port to HDMI 2.0 adapter,​
configure HDMI port on your TV to HDMI 2.0 mode and​
use HDMI 2.0 certified HDMI cable.​

https://www.startech.com/eu/AV/disp...port-Adapters/dp-hdmi-2-adapter-4k~DP2HD4K60S
Read manual of your TV to find out supported resolutions/refresh rates.
120Hz Clear Motion Index doesn't mean 120Hz refresh rate.

To get 4k@60Hz you'd have to
use Display Port to HDMI 2.0 adapter,​
configure HDMI port on your TV to HDMI 2.0 mode and​
use HDMI 2.0 certified HDMI cable.​

https://www.startech.com/eu/AV/disp...port-Adapters/dp-hdmi-2-adapter-4k~DP2HD4K60S

Solution

intzor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
HI Skynet,

Thanks for your reply and the adapter suggestion.

Do the issues I'm describing with video sound like they are refresh rate related? Should that adapter solve the problem?

thanks again!

intzor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Interestingly enough, after putting it in 1080 60hz I still have screen tearing.

I actually found a screen tearing test on youtube with vertical black and white lines. It is full of distortion when viewed on this monitor. Then when I look at the same test on my iphone screen the lines look perfectly stable and clear.

what does this mean?

I'm starting to wonder i I can even use this TV as a monitor...

intzor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
an update:

I just watched a full video with the display settings in 1080/60.

Seemed much better than 4k - video playback seemed smooth; there was a bit of tearing here and there, but not much.

So definitely a noticeable improvement, although for some reason still looks terrible on that youtube screen tearing test.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
4k is not easy on the gpu. my guess is the 380 just does not want to run at 4k very well. it running better at 1080p seems to back up that theory.

it should be able to handle office apps and other simple uses but 4k video and games should bring the old 380 to a grinding halt.

intzor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Thanks for you reply mathgeek.

It sounds like you think a new GPU is the solution to my problems here. Is there any you would recommend that won't break the bank, but will at the same time give me a smooth 4k experience? Appreciate it your suggestion.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
4k is the premium resolution right now. there is no cheap way to do it and be able to game with it.

if i recall right, a 2060 or 5700 xt is about the lowest you can go and be able to still be ok.they start at about $400 and go up from there. the 2060 is about $300+ but it really is not capable unless you're willing to go minimum settings. that's with reduced settings as well. the 2070 and 2080 are the true 4k cards and they are not cheap.

sucks but cheap and 4k do not really go in the same sentence.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Screen tearing would be the result of outputting more frames than the display can handle.
If you are getting screen tearing on desktop and with video playback at 60fps, chances are, your TV is not operating in 60hz mode.
Playback a video on YouTube that does not say 1080p60 and just says 1080 so that it's 30fps.
See if you get screen tearing.
If you don't, then you'll know your TV is operating in 30hz mode.
Check Nvidia control panel in the resolution section and select the TV, then below that make sure the refresh rate is set to 60hz and that your PC resolution is set to 1080p

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
honestly though this is why pc monitors cost a lot more than tv's. they are just much better quality and designed for a pc signal and not a normal cable tv one.

i have a tv hooked up but that's for movie streaming. i would never bother trying to do any kind of gaming on it and i have a 120 hz model. cause i know 120 hz is more marketing than anything else and not actual performance of the screen.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
honestly though this is why pc monitors cost a lot more than tv's. they are just much better quality and designed for a pc signal and not a normal cable tv one.

i have a tv hooked up but that's for movie streaming. i would never bother trying to do any kind of gaming on it and i have a 120 hz model. cause i know 120 hz is more marketing than anything else and not actual performance of the screen.
I use my TCL 50" 4K TV with my PC, but I use it mainly for emulators like CEMU and playing BotW at 4K 30fps.
But I have no issues personally with V-Sync and up to 4K 60Hz cuz I have a 1080 Ti.

Otherwise I have a 144Hz 1440p monitor for gaming yeah lol.

TRENDING THREADS