[SOLVED] Issues when playing games

Dark3st

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Alright I’m here to possibly either change providers or change THEIR given modem and or router. Currently we are with Spectrum with a plan of 400/20, currently i am experiencing a TON of issues connecting to servers and not really understanding if it’s because of my provider or the actual game. 2 games I currently can’t play that I used to is Escape From Tarkov and League of Legends. Whenever I start looking for a game in either game I could be in Queue for eternity however it will never connect me. I tested this with both games and the way I did this was with friends, they would get the Queue, they would join the game in Escape from Tarkov yet I wouldn’t and in league the queue would appear for them but not for me. However this only happened with CSGO once, it just lets me know that I was unable to find a server so I restart the queue and it allows me to connect.

Let me clarify that this doesn’t ALWAYS happen but it does occur frequently. I used a Speedtest because I figured it was possibly the latency/bufferbloat and whenever I would run a speed it would increase to around 600+ms to 1500+ms.

I cannot get my current PC specs ATM if they are needed however I remember a few

CPU: i5 9600k (OC to 4.6)
h100 v2 (water cooler)
Graphics: 2070 super
Board: Z970 Prime II (I believe)

MODEM:
Manufacturer: Hitron
Model: E31N2V1

ROUTER:
Manufacturer: Askey
Model: Wave 2

PS: Yes I am wired, I have never touched wireless since I have been Ethernet. IF you need anymore information please let me know.... ALSO I have had the lines replaced (Spectrum claimed that’s why my internet was below 400 earlier and that fixed it)

Last edited:
Solution
I would first try to remove the router and plug directly into the modem. You likely will have to power cycle the modem every time you change what you plug into it. This is to be sure the router is not the cause.

I have not used hitron but I would think it has a log and signal strength pages like motorola. You need to verify that your signal level are within the acceptable range. Generally the modem will get errors if the signal is too low or to high.

It might be a modem issue but in most cases problems like this are cabling issues. You might try moving the modem to the closest point the coax enters your house. This is mostly to avoid the ISP blaming your in house cabling and charging your to come out to the house.
I would first try to remove the router and plug directly into the modem. You likely will have to power cycle the modem every time you change what you plug into it. This is to be sure the router is not the cause.

I have not used hitron but I would think it has a log and signal strength pages like motorola. You need to verify that your signal level are within the acceptable range. Generally the modem will get errors if the signal is too low or to high.

It might be a modem issue but in most cases problems like this are cabling issues. You might try moving the modem to the closest point the coax enters your house. This is mostly to avoid the ISP blaming your in house cabling and charging your to come out to the house.

Solution

Dark3st

Reputable
May 5, 2015

its literally next to the hole that my coax enters through, and what do you mean by signal level? Is there a way I can check it?

Dark3st

Reputable
May 5, 2015
There should be a screen in the modem I don't know I have never used that brand. You then need to look up the values that are considered good, it is slightly different depending on what details like what docsis is being used and how many channels.

Spectrum doesnt allow us to do anything with their modems so I cannot access anything on it if thats what you are saying.

Not sure I would still test with your pc directly plugged into the modem, the ISP will blame the router.

The ISP can likely see the numbers on the modem. They tend to be stupid sometime and say everything is fine but it is harder to tell lies when you can see the numbers also.

Trying to look this up I now see why they have access blocked. It has a voice/telephone connection in the device. They don't want you messing with their voice network.

You really have little choice but to call the ISP. Maybe test with 2 different device and be sure both how the large ping spikes. They will try to say it is your pc. Do not confuse them saying games don't work you want speedtest issues or better yet simple ping commands that show the error.