Question Issues with 1440p Freesync monitor

thyriel6

Commendable
Oct 23, 2018
Hi,

I've been trying to troubleshoot issues I'm having with my 1440p 144hz monitor. It's an Acer ED273UR I bought looking to benefit from its freesync with my new 6800xt gpu. However, I'm experiencing some pretty weird behaviour.

It started when I turned on VRR in my amd settings, note that without it being on none of these issues happen but I experience tear in my games. At first I was using my monitor with an HDMI 2.0 cable and wasc experiencing random black screens in games that lasted for a couple of seconds whenever the frames changed rapidly. I dabbled with a few settings but couldn't get it to work. I assumed it would be an issue with the cable and bought a DP 1.4 which arrived today.
I tried turning on VRR again (freesync) in my amd option and despite no longer experiencing those random black screens (so far) I do see some flickering, specially noticeable in titles like path of exile with heave changes in FPS.
now the weird part actually happens when I try to limit my fps on games where I can achieve higher frames than my refresh rate. It doesn't matter whether I do this via amd's radeon chill technology or in game, every time I limit my fps to 140 or below my flickering gets worse, I turned on the refresh rate counter in my monitor and it changes like crazy, I mean several times a second going from 144 down to 75 or lower and back up and this is only the case when I limit the fps in any way. if my fps is below 144 because of the actual PC not being abl to push it higher the refresh rate counter is stable at whatever fps i can achieve, but if I limit it that's when it starts going all over the place and flickering gets very noticeable.

I don't know if this is a GPU or a monitor issue or if there's anything I can do to fix it. according to AMD the monitor is freesync compatible so I really don't know what's going on.