[SOLVED] Issues with 2 sticks of RAM

Jun 29, 2020
I'm having an odd problem and I'm not sure if the issue is with the RAM, the motherboard or some other part.

I build a computer. These are the specs:
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G5, 80 Plus Gold 650W
Ryzen 3600
ASUS ROG Strix B550-F
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model BL2K8G36C16U4WL

I put it all together, and it wouldn't boot. I noticed the motherboard post says the issue is with the the RAM.

I take one stick of the RAM out and the computer will boot. I swap the RAM and the computer will boot.

I noticed the clock says the RAM is running at 2666, rather than the 3600 it was rated for. I figured out I had to enable DOCP, which loaded a 3600 profile for the RAM.

At that point I was able to reboot, and saw the single stick was running at 3600. If I shut down at this point I can add the 2nd stick in and they both run at 3600. All seems fine. I can even reboot, shut down, power on.

But If I shut down the computer for a while, when I attempt to boot it will not boot. Gets stuck posting again. I think it reverts to safe boot settings, and sets the RAM back to 2666, but will not boot with both sticks. I have to remove one stick, go back into the BIOS(which still shows DOCP enabled), save, shutdown and add the 2nd stick, then it'll boot. I have noticed several crashes(screen locks up, no BSOD) when both sticks are in, however it fails to create a crash dump file and I have to go through the whole remove a stick, check bios, re-add stick process to get it to boot at 3600 again. I have run a memtest for several hours. I ran windows memory diagnostics tool. Neither returned any errors.

I downloaded the Ryzen DRAM calculator and used it to manually clock the RAM to 3600. It didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Thoughts? Should I up the voltage of the OC? Why wont it boot with 2 sticks with the ram clocked down? I'm considering returning the RAM and getting some different ram, but I'm not sure. The manufacturer of the RAM specifically says it's compatible with this motherboard.

It doesn't crash quickly, it can be used for hours or even a day at a time before it crashes and I have to re-set the memory. Even under load. Right now I'm just running with 1 stick at 3600 and there are no crashes. It's only when I add the 2nd stick. But either individual stick seems fine when running alone.

(I should add I have updated all drivers as well as the BIOS directly from the manufacturer)

Jun 29, 2020
Just in case anyone else has a similar issue:

I got new RAM. This time it's only 3200(though much better timings, so overall I think it's faster).

I read that Ryzen's sometimes has issues with getting RAM up to 3600.

I was pretty much immediately able to run the 3200 RAM using the default clocking profile and haven't run into any issues since.