Question Issues with 3070Ti After Upgrading to Ryzen 5900X

Sep 10, 2022
I recently upgraded to a Ryzen5900X and it has brought about some problems (or maybe something else caused it IDK).

I'm going to try operating off of my Ryzen2700X tomorrow to see if the CPU is the culprit, but I wanted to go ahead and get this posted tonight.

CPU : Ryzen 5900X
MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-i
GPU : NVIDIA 3070TI (FE)
PSU : Corsair SF 750W Modular
RAM : 2x16GB Crucial 3200MHz
Storage : 2TB Crucial SSD, 1TB SSD

After installing my new CPU I went into BIOS and completed set up. Then I booted into Windows and tried out a game. I was met with miserable performance (15 FPS for Destiny 2). This is something that shouldn't be happening because I had the latest drivers installed. No biggy, I'll just reinstall the GPU drivers.

Reinstalling the GPU drivers results in a permanent black screen until I force shut down my PC.

I've tried looking at diagnostic data from apps like: hwinfo64, geforcenow, and task manager. They all show 34C for my GPU with a fan speed of 0rpm. It's like my PC isn't communicating with the GPU at all, but it still recognizes that it's a 3070ti.

I've tried reinstalling Windows as well. Nothing has seemed to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you think this is a hardware issue other than the CPU? Perhaps a bad Riser cable?

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022
When you say, ''I went into BIOS and completed set up ,'' what exactly did you do?
Upon first boot up I received a prompt that said.
“New CPU detected, press f1 to set up.”
This booted me into bios. And I reset my bios settings to default. Just to get rid of any OC settings from my previous CPU.
Then I booted into Windows. And it works fine! Like no crashes or anything. It’s just the GPU having issues.

ötzi

Proper
Apr 2, 2022
Yes, they are included with when installing Windows but since you're on an AMD platform I would advice to update them. The drivers included with Windows might not always be up to date and some are generic. You can check in device manager if the drivers are provided by AMD and are up to date.

Sep 10, 2022
You gave us gpu temperature but what is the cpu temperature when at Windows desktop and when you try gaming?
Quickly goes up to around 80C as expected whenever I'm playing power hungry games. This is an SFF case with a Noctua NH-L9x65 as the cooler. So I wasn't expecting amazing thermals.

I plan on performing an undervolt once I get this garbage figured out. Either way, it never reaches temperatures that are unsafe. And it doesn't affect the problem of installing graphics drivers or the GPU not being used at all.